Vancouver says hello

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Vancouver says hello

Post by gaelgoir »

I'm new to learning Latin and I'm planning on doing ancient Greek, too. I've studied French and German at the university level, though I didn't graduate. I've also done some Irish Gaelic on my own - Dia seo isteach! Lastly I'll say that I'm a Newfie living in Vancouver, BC and am looking forward to learning from everyone here at Textkit.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: Vancouver says hello

Post by klewlis »

welcome from the North Shore. :) are you studying on your own or with a group/class? I've occasionally looked for a local group but haven't found any.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

Hi there, I'm currently studying on my own and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I'm ok with that, plus I'm not sure how working in a group would work. Maybe if I start getting really lost.
Do you have both Latin and Greek? Schooling? Thanks for the welcome

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Many moons ago (late 90s) I took three years of Koine Greek in college. I also took one semester each of Latin and Hebrew. At one point I had worked through the entirety of Wheelock's Latin on my own.

Since then I have barely touched anything. Just this summer I am attempting to refresh my Greek and am focusing on Attic now instead of Koine. I remember pieces but am certainly missing a lot now!

So... beginning again. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

Impressive. My semesters have been equally spread out over the last twenty years, unfortunately so I've had to start Wheelock's , too, on my own. But I enjoying doing it, so I'm not really complaining. I've just ordered Mastronarde's Intro and I'm really looking forward to it.
Good for you for starting again, hope it's going well.(and congratulations for finishing Wheelock) T's nice to know there's someone within a 100km radius who's willing to take on this kind of studying on their own, too. Best of luck :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

to answer your previous comment, working in a group can be enjoyable and informative. When I was in college there were only three of us in our class so we would study together. It was helpful because we could work through the tricky stuff together or work on memorization. There is also the accountability factor. Later on I was part of a small reading group which just read Koine together, taking turns. It was valuable.

If you ever do join a group (or want to start one) let me know cuz I would join!

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

I'm guessing by 'accountability' you mean getting things done and keeping up. That is important. I'm also running into a different sort as I'm now on the fifth chapter of Wheelock and I'm having trouble sometimes verifying my answers. I normally double- and triple-check, but sometimes I just can't find the things I want to check. And this will probably get worse. So, yeah, I can see accountability for getting things done AND for getting things right being really useful in a group setting. I might be thinking on starting a group (or trying to find one) sooner rather than later. As of now, you'd be the first person I'd contact. (You don't happen to know others in the area who are just beginning , do you? :D)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't know anyone else who would want to do it, sadly.

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

That's too bad :| Well, I'll keep the group idea in mind and I'll just keep plugging away. I'll keep my eyes open for learners in the GVR.

Dominus Faba
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dominus Faba »

Tá failte romhat, a Ghaeilgoir! Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú sasta anseo. Tá daoine iontach cliste anseo agus abálta thú a chuidiú.

Ádh mór le do chuid staideareachta.
"O tempora, o mores, o haemorrhois!"

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

Go raibh mile maith agat, a Dhominus. Nil agam ach beagan Gaeilige. Ta se deas go cleacht. Ca bhfuil tu i do chonai? ..ina Rhiocht Aontaithe?

(pardon mistakes, I haven't figured out how to do accents yet either :D )

Kovaliov
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kovaliov »

Salve, dulcissima sodalis! I myself live in Seattle. Do yourself a favor. Buy Orberg's "Lingua latina per se illustrata" textbook, workbook, and teacher's manual (for the answers) and learn the language as a true language. (lingua = tongue. you've got to use this muscle to learn a language. You've already learned real languages, French and German, so learn Latin as another language.) Then join a "Circulus Latinus" (hopefully there's one in your city) and start speaking. There's a Circulus Latinus Boreoccidentalis ('northwestern') that meets around Seattle 4 times a year.) There are also spoken language "septimanae" (weeks) during the summer and there's the Academia Vivarium Novum in Rome (the latter is all summer long but quite expensive). Register for one of these. You'll be speaking Latin all day long for a week or for the whole summer. Take notes as to what you should be reading. If these are legitimate "septimanae" and "circuli" they'll be following the Erasmian method (from the Renaissance Humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam) and they'll be speaking only Latin (or Greek) and before you know it you'll be reading Cicero, the latinist of latinists, and speaking fine Latin. Don't pay attention to university Latin. This is book-wormish work that might get you a PhD and might or most likely might not, after many many years, get you an academic job. I practice both (academic and spoken), but I've been doing it for 20 yrs. After a year or two of Latin try doing the same with Greek. (Generally there are fewer opportunities to speak it, but you can find them. There are also textbooks. But let's cross this bridge when we get to it. Besides, you'll hear about it in the Latin Circles. (The more 'advanced' Circles have both Greek and Latin sessions.) Hope this helps. Loquamur Latine, amica! Cura ut valeas!

Kovaliov
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kovaliov »

eheu, oblitus sum. (alas, I forgot!) About Wheelock. It's the best Latin-translation (not spoken Latin) textbook out there. It's a great aid, but not nearly enough to really know the language. valeto quam optime!

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

Hi, thanks Kovaliov, that's a lot of really great information. I fear, though, I may be 'book-wormish' for a few years yet, as I'll just be working with the materials I have. But all you've said is great for future reference. Good to hear from you though, thanks.

Dominus Faba
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dominus Faba »

Chan fhuil mé i mo chónaí i mBreatain ar scór ar bith, ach in Éireann (Scotia Major).

Fá choinne fada a fháil, brú ar 'alt gr'. :wink:

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

Oh, thank you. I'm a little curious as to why you call it 'Scotia Major', but I'll let it slide. :D Cheers

Dominus Faba
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dominus Faba »

Scotia was a way of saying "Land of the Gaels"; compare Angli, Anglia; Franci, Francia; Romani, Romania; etc. It originally was used as a name for Ireland, as when Isidore of Seville in 580 CE says "Scotia and Hibernia are the same country" (Isidore, lib. xii. c. 6)", but the connotation is still ethnic. This is how it is used, for instance, by King Robert I of Scotland and Domhnall Ua Néill during the Scottish Wars of Independence, when Ireland was called Scotia Maior, and Scotland Scotia Minor.

Pope Leo X of the Roman Catholic Church eventually granted Scotland exclusive right over the word, and this led to Anglo-Scottish takeovers of continental Gaelic monasteries (e.g. the Schottenklöster).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotia

gaelgoir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaelgoir »

I see. See, I knew the Scotii were the predominant tribe in Ireland in the early middle ages, and were the ones who went to Scotland and became the 'Scottish'. So, basically I couldn't tell whether you meant Ireland or Scotland. I'd only ever heard Hibernia and Caledonia anyway. I applaud your knowledge history all in all...

Lucretius2327
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lucretius2327 »

Well I would be honored if you would accept my invitation to set in on an online intro to Homeric Greek course beginning at the end of this month. It is meant for retirees; but will just as well suit students knocking the dust off. I have ONE committed enrollee and have an ad for it about to appear in the Columbia University Alumni mag, but don't know who that will garner. I sort of need butts in seats (or shall we say, faces before their PCs) to get the critical mass for the thing to feel good on Google Hangouts. We will meet twice a week in the evening and work around the Holidays for 12 weeks.

In the previous iteration (going 6 hours a week) we finished Book One of the Iliad in 14 weeks, and someone who attended just 3 weeks thought themselves comfortable in the New Testament. So I think you would like it.

Please consider it.

The cost of the course (DGL's online courses underwrites its FREE classics instruction to Detroit Public Schools students) is for the ideal man or woman of means: a sliding scale is closer to the truth.

SING GODDESS!
Fall-Winter Introduction to Homeric Greek
Part I: Late-October to Early-Febuary: $ 1, 400

‒ ⏑ ⏑ ‒ ⏑ ⏑ ‒‖
Μῆνιν ἄειδε Θεά

Meeting live on Google Hangouts 2 days a week at 7pm EST for 1.5 hours each session, this course will begin with the Greek alphabet and progress through Clyde Pharr, Homeric Greek: A book for beginners. By the end of the course you will have read a good portion of Iliad Book I in Greek and be sufficiently acquainted with Ancient Greek to move easily to the reading of Ionic (Herodotus) Attic (Plato, Xenophon, or Lysias) or New Testament Greek. Enrollment is limited to 8 persons.
(A Winter-Spring follow-up course will complete the reading of Iliad Book I and conclude with samplings from other Greek authors.)
Required Texts: (1) Pharr, Homeric Greek; (2) Smyth, Greek Grammar; (3) Bekker's text (1858) showing Digamma is preferred (Bekker's text is available through numerous print on demand outlets, for instance Paige M. Gutenborg of the Harvard Book Store); (4) hard-copy version of W. M. Roberts III, Three Quarrels: Lexical Grammatical Aids to Iliad Book I will be available = $50 materials fee.
Both Pharr and Smyth are available in PDF form online; so one can begin this course without having yet received the books. Possession of the hard-copy texts, however, is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Suggested Text: (1) Mondi and Corrigan, A Student Handbook of Greek and English Grammar. (This work is especially useful to persons not entirely confident in their grasp of grammatical concepts. It is highly recommended to anyone approaching Greek without a previous acquaintance with a fully declined language, such as Latin or Russian.)
Instructor: Walter M. Roberts III, PhD: wroberts@detroitgreekandlatin.com

WMR