Az New Here.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Azkerb
Textkit Neophyte

Az New Here.

Post by Azkerb »

I own to have had difficulty finding a class for studying Greek at my level. For the past 3 years I have been attending reading groups doing Medea, Iliad 6 & 22, and Herodotus Bk1. In my experience such groups are mixed ability with a lot of time spent explaining elementary grammar. Of course we all have concepts we are struggling with. One gent with acquired fluency told me he has finished with struggling and looks forward to 'flying solely with his hard won feathers.' This was in response to my suggestion we do some work on the history of the language. I take his point. Greek is both pleasure and pain. But I think this attitude is like giving up––to think it'll be all fun––surely that's to think of heaven as just lolling about on clouds. No pain no gain. 'Nice word that "lolling",' he replied.

I have registered with Textkit hoping to engage with ongoing strugglers like myself. Presently I'm reading 'Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics' by Daniel B. Wallace. This is a superb work, and it has surprised me how much I didn't know. Such as Colwell's Rule: 'An anarthrous pre-verbal predicate nominative is normally qualitative, sometimes definite, and only rarely indefinite.' Helps to consolidate things by writing them out. Swear I didn't just look it up. Strictly speaking, this isn't Colwell's Rule, but a more helpful one derived from it.

From experience I know that discussion is invaluable to learning. Look out for my labours on Aktionsart. Meanwhile I would welcome anyone's views on this, or indeed any other topic.

χαίρετε
Az