Untranslated Latin Texts?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Untranslated Latin Texts?

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Are there any Latin texts (or Greek texts) that haven't been translated?

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: Untranslated Latin Texts?

Post by Victor »

Yes, many.

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

I know that I'm definitely not at any level to translate these, but out of curiosity where can they be found? Only in manuscripts?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I bet some obscure writers in Patrologia Latina have never been translated.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

ThatLanguageGuy wrote:Are there any Latin texts (or Greek texts) that haven't been translated?
Do you mean "Latin" in the narrow sense, i.e. classical Latin, or in the wider sense, i.e. including neo-Latin texts? If it is the latter you are looking for, then the ANALYTIC BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ON-LINE NEO-LATIN TEXTS is what you are looking for. It contains more than 50,000 neo-Latin texts with links to scanned version available on the Internet.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

nogueirasousa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nogueirasousa »

I think that all of the most relevant latin works have already been translated to English, but there are other languages in which some relevant works haven't been translated to, or there's just one or two translations of some famous works.

In my native language, Portuguese, I can't find translations for some medieval works and if I find there's just one. I think it's good to have different translatons for the same work.

nogueirasousa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nogueirasousa »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:
ThatLanguageGuy wrote:Are there any Latin texts (or Greek texts) that haven't been translated?
Do you mean "Latin" in the narrow sense, i.e. classical Latin, or in the wider sense, i.e. including neo-Latin texts? If it is the latter you are looking for, then the ANALYTIC BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ON-LINE NEO-LATIN TEXTS is what you are looking for. It contains more than 50,000 neo-Latin texts with links to scanned version available on the Internet.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

It would be very helpful if there was a guide about these works, since they are so many, and also, digitalized versions, because some scans are horrible to read.