§ 428. Irregular verb fero; Dative with prep+verb compounds.

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

§ 428. Irregular verb fero; Dative with prep+verb compounds.

Post by Episcopus »

So these verbs can have two objects: a direct and indirect? Interesting.

I. 4. Cum navigia insulae adpropinquarent barbari terrore commoti pedem referre conati sunt.
-When the boats were approaching the island the barbarians, moved by terror, tried to retreat.

5. Galli moleste ferebant Romanos agros vastare.
-The Gauls were very annoyed that the Romans were destroying (their) fields. (Is that right?)

6. Caesar sociís imperavit ne finitimis suis bellum inferrent.
-Caesar ordered the allies not to make war against their neighbours.
(is the reflexive possessive "suis" here referring !ah ferre is everywhere! to Caesar or the sociis who are the subject of the subjunctive clause...)
I didn't know imperare was +dative ???

7. Exploratores qui Caesari occurrérunt, dixerunt exercitum hostium vulneribus defessum sese in alium locum contulisse. (se conferre in/ad - to go to -i.e retreat lit. bring oneself together towards...)
-The scouts who met Caesar said that the tired enemy army, due to wounds, had gone to another place.

8. Hostes sciebant Romanos frumento egere et hanc rem Caesari summum periculum adlaturam esse.
-The enemy knew that the Romans needed grain and that this would bring the greatest peril to Caesar.

9. Impedimentís in unum locum conlatis, aliqui militum flumen quod non longe aberat transierunt.
-The baggage having been collected into one place, some soldiers went across the river which was not far off.

10. Hos rex hortatus est, ut oraculum adirent et res auditas ad se referrent.
-The king urged them to visit the oracle and report back to him the things that they have heard.

11. Quem imperator illi legioni praefecit? Publius illi legioni praeerat.
-Whom will the general put in command of that legion? Publius was in command of the legion.

12. Cum esset Caesar in citeriore Galliá, crebri ad eum rumores adferebantur litterisque quoque certior fiebat Gallos obsides inter se dare.
When Caesar was in hither Gauls, frequent rumours were being brought to him and also by letters was he informed that the Gauls were giving hostages to eachother.

II. 1. The Gauls will make war upon the allies of Caesar.
-Galli bellum Caesaris sociis inferent.

2. We heard that the Gauls would not make war upon Caesar's allies.
-Audivimus Gallos Caesaris socciis bellum inlaturos non esse.

3. Publius did not take part in that battle.
-Publius illi proelio non intererat.

4. We have been informed that Publius did not take part in that battle.
-Certiores facti sumus Publium proelio illi non interfuisse.

5. The man who was in command of the cavalry was wounded and began to retreat.
Homo qui equitatui praeerat vulneratus est ac incepit pedem referre.

6. Caesar did not place you in command of the cohort to bring disaster upon the army.
-Caesar te non praefecit cohorti ut calamitatem exercitui inferres.

I should add all this to the Key! :lol: But there are no macrons :?

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

They look all right to me, o episcope.

Maneck
Textkit Neophyte

Re: § 428. Irregular verb fero; Dative with prep+verb compou

Post by Maneck »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but, since it is relevant to my question, I thought that replying to this thread was better than starting another on the same exercise. To my question:

For the last exercise of § 428, we are asked to translate the following into Latin:

II. 6. Caesar did not place you in command of the cohort to bring disaster upon the army.

My translation was quite awkward, but it is similar to that of Episcopus above (except with 'adferrēs' instead of 'inferrēs').

- Caesar tē cohortī nōn praefēcit ut exercituī calamitātem adferrēs.

The answer key, however, has

- Tē Caesar cohortī nōn praefēcit nē calamitatem inferrēs exercituī.

This, I think, has a different meaning to that of the English original. It is analogous in construction to the 'verbs of fearing' sentences (e.g. Caesar verēbātur nē calamitatem inferrēs exercituī), and seems to mean 'Caesar did not place you in command lest you bring disaster to the army.'

Am I right, or is the answer key indeed correct?