answer key

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
spqr
Textkit Fan

answer key

Post by spqr »

Are the English to Latin translation exercises in the answer key the only correct answer as regards word order? Usually my answers coincide with the answer key but occasionally the key will have a sentence with word order which leaves me wondering what the author intends.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: answer key

Post by Damoetas »

I see that no one has answered this. For any Latin sentence, many word orders are usually possible. Some may be better or more natural than others, but this isn't something that you need to worry about too much at this stage. When you get to read longer passages of Latin, as opposed to isolated sentences, you'll see that there are some principles that influence word order, such as contrast, or emphasis, or smooth connection with what came before. But these don't apply so much to single sentences that have no context.

That being said, if there's something that you're very unsure or curious about, feel free to post it here and people will give feedback.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?