best samples of spoken Latin

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Virtus
Textkit Neophyte

best samples of spoken Latin

Post by Virtus »

reference: http://cdn.textkit.net/BLD_Latin_For_Be ... df#page=15

D'Ooge states in his nota bene at bottom that learning to pronounce Latin requires hearing it pronounced. I can google "Latin sound clips" just fine, but what audiovisual aids would the experienced members of this forum recommend?

Also, how important is it to learn Latin pronunciation when your chief goal is to lear to write quality Latin? (My thought is that the flexibility of word order would make Latin close to ideal for considering which arrangement of words has the best sound.)

Thanks for all responses.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: best samples of spoken Latin

Post by bedwere »

This thread has link to other threads with more links...

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =3&t=64858

Virtus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Virtus »

bedwere wrote:This thread has link to other threads with more links...

Thanks for the reply. Any tips and tricks to avoid inadvertently having my spoken Latin sound the way I've heard spoken Italian sound?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Virtus wrote:
bedwere wrote:This thread has link to other threads with more links...

Thanks for the reply. Any tips and tricks to avoid inadvertently having my spoken Latin sound the way I've heard spoken Italian sound?
0) Don't sweat the small stuff.
1) Pick a pronunciation.
2) Listen to a lot of recordings.
3) Record your own
4) Compare.
5) Go to 2.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I agree with bedwere, especially on 0) not sweating.

I often think when I read these discussions of pronunciation about how quickly positions become polarised around imaginary ideals, which carry many social assumptions. It may be too obvious to say but remember that Latin must have been pronounced with a variety of accents. Its more important to pick one you like, rather than worry about whether it is "accurate".

"It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him." (George Bernard Shaw). But I would hope that nowadays we were a little more forgiving of each others' accents.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Virtus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Virtus »

Oh, I wasn't aiming for authenticity, because I don't know whether the way spoken Latin sounded in ancient times can be pinned down. I just wasn't aware of the many different ways of speaking Latin that appear to be available, just on YouTube, let alone elsewhere.

Thanks for your responses.

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

It is of course true that spoken Latin had dialects (though nowhere near what Greek had [I'm not speaking of the Modern Latin dialects :wink: ]), and that we cannot indisputably reconstruct all the traits of its pronunciation, the cadence particularly being quite beyond our reach (as far as I understand at least). But I find it baffling that we shouldn't aim for the best possible approximation, which is actually very good (cf. Sumerian, of which we have a few glimpses that mostly we're at sea, e.g. DUMU 'son' [tomu] and É 'house', actually [hai], cf. Arabic حیکل and Hebrew). And the variety would of course be that of Rome in ca. 50 BCE, and the code not too colloquial. W. Sidney Allen delineated most of what one will need in his Vox Latina.

Virtus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Virtus »

Vox Latina is available free of charge as a pdf. I like how it starts with a chapter on phonology and explains things instead of prescribing its own preferred approach. Thanks for the reference.