searching ancient Greek text in Chromium browser

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

searching ancient Greek text in Chromium browser

Post by hlawson38 »

Chromium browser appears to ignore accents while searching in Greek texts. Because my Greek typing is poor, that is a good thing for me.

Here's how I tested in Linux. I loaded a text file containing Mastronarde's list of principal parts into the Chromium browser. Next, I changed the input method to Polytonic Greek. Then I did a Control-F search through the file, typing unaccented Greek characters into the search box. I picked out an arbitrary word, and typed in the unaccented Greek characters.

I tried Firefox, whose text search worked, but only if the correct accents were given in the search box.
Hugh Lawson

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: searching ancient Greek text in Chromium browser

Post by Aetos »

Hi Hugh,
I don't know if you're using ΛΟΓΕΙΟΝ much yet, but you'll find that you can usually type in unaccented Greek words and it will present you with the closest match. You can even type Roman characters and it'll yield the closest Greek match. This obviously is useful when you're trying to quickly look up a word. I just tried it in Chrome and it works a treat. ΛΟΓΕΙΟΝ is a collection of lexica of Latin & Greek, featuring the Lewis&Short for Latin, the Liddell Scott Jones for Greek as well as the "Middle Liddell" and the Autenrieth (especially good for Homer). Here's a link:
https://logeion.uchicago.edu
You can access these in Perseus, too, but I think you'll find ΛΟΓΕΙΟΝ more user friendly (no having to type beta characters)
EDIT: I just realized you're using Chromium (not Chrome). Hopefully it has the same capabilities as its Windows equivalent.
Last edited by Aetos on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Many thanks Aetos. logeion looks great!

The betacode requirement in Perseus is another thing to learn when there is already so much.

Perseus, at least for Plato's Apology, gives lexicon information in response to a mouse click. That's very impressive too.
Hugh Lawson

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

I very much like being able to click on a given word in a Perseus text and see its morphology and various meanings and usages. There are some areas, though, where this can lead one down the famous primrose path. For some reason, it doesn't always recognise compound verbs; e.g. I was reading a line in the Iliad and came upon the word παρκατέλεκτο. I clicked and got λέγω2. This is where having a browser window open to ΛΟΓΕΙΟΝ comes in handy. I then went to it, typed in "parkate" and in the drop down box saw "παρκατέλεκτο", clicked on that and was presented with a number of possible matches in the LSJ, I also checked under Autenrieth and saw "see παρακαταλέχομαι", which turns out to mean "lay down beside". The Scaife viewer does a better job with this, but it's still a work in progress and works in Chrome and Edge (it doesn't seem to work in Internet Explorer). Here's the link for Scaife, if you'd like to try it out:
https://scaife.perseus.org/

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Something you both might like based on the conversation above:

Perseus under Philologic has versions of the Perseus texts where you can click on words and get a pop-up with the Logeion short definition (and a link to the full definition). It tends to be a lot better than the Perseus tool - it picked up παρακαταλέχομαι for instance and avoids all those weird instances where the Perseus short definition has garbled nonsense.

http://artflsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ ... %20Il.%209

To find other texts go to the homepage and put author and/or work into the boxes at the bottom.

You might have already used it for this, but it's also extremely useful for searching by lemma in the top search box (e.g. "lemma:παρακαταλέχομαι"), though quite fussy - if you want ἅλς meaning sea then you'll have to put in lemma:ἅλς2 like the Logeion definition.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Thanks, Sean
You know, I've had that site bookmarked for years, but the only time I used it was when Tufts Perseus was down; at the time, it was a mirror in the true sense of the word, an exact duplicate of the Tufts site. The Philologic platform that they use now is a lot cleaner (thus a lot faster) and I like being able to look up phrases as well. Silly, but one of the reasons I used the Tufts site is that I live only 20 minutes by car from the campus, so I thought "short physical distance, probably fewer hops to the site". Turns out, if I run Traceroute (tracert) on both sites, it's 15 hops to Tufts and 16 hops to U Chicago, which used to take me 3 hours by jet. The number of hops can change due to traffic and other factors, I'm sure, but I was surprised at how small difference was.