Crosby and Schaeffer Answer Key?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Crosby and Schaeffer Answer Key?

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Is there any such thing as an answer key for Crosby and Schaeffer's An Introduction to Greek, anywhere out there, online or off :?:
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

gabbyhon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Crosby and Schaeffer Answer Key?

Post by gabbyhon »

I'm pretty certain that no answer key for C&S exists anywhere, in any form. It might be worth writing to the book's current publishers, Bolchazy & Carducci, to inquire further, however: http://www.bolchazy.com

There is a C&S Yahoo! Group whose coordinator has posted some answers (you'll need to join the group, of course, to see anything): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Crosby/

Finally, I worked my way through the first 15 or so chapters 7 years ago and am giving it another go. I'd be happy to compare answers with you, if you like.

gabbyhon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gabbyhon »

Hi Jefferson -- I found some resources after a Google search. Right now, however, I don't have privileges to post links in this forum so if you're inclined, please email me at gabbyhon {at} gmail.com

I'm also going through C&S on my own after a 7-year hiatus. I have previous answers up to Unit 15 that I'd be happy to type up for you, as well.

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Thank you gabbyhon. I also have had a seven year hiatus from Crosby and Schaeffer. I intend to start back in two in three months when I finish refreshing my Latin.

I think Crosby and Schaeffer would be the perfect introductory Greek book for autodidacts who have had some Latin, if it had an answer key.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Also, thank you for offering to type up your answers, but I dont think there's any need for you to go to the trouble. From what I can tell, they intend to post answers in the Yahoo group.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

I can really recommend the 'Yahoo' Crosby group. We're up to Chapter 24 now and still going strong. Excellent coordinator. Low attrition rate.

And our 'Answer Key' is growing naturally week by week.

At the very least, I recommend downloading the 'Unicorn' click-dictionary from this site:
http://www.quasillum.com/greek/greek-activities.php
It's a kind of Whitaker's Words for Greek - but even better in some respects. Absolutely invaluable tool.

Cheers,
Int

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Thank you, Interaxus. I'm joining the group. It's the perfect way to study Crosby & Schaeffer.

kathleenp980
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kathleenp980 »

gabbyhon wrote:I'm pretty certain that no answer key for C&S exists anywhere, in any form. It might be worth writing to the book's current publishers, Bolchazy & Carducci, to inquire further, however: http://www.bolchazy.com

There is a C&S Yahoo! Group whose coordinator has posted some answers (you'll need to join the group, of course, to see anything): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Crosby/

Finally, I worked my way through the first 15 or so chapters 7 years ago and am giving it another go. I'd be happy to compare answers with you, if you like.
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks for the post. :mrgreen:

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Actually, there was an original key (actually, Teacher's manual) to Crosby and Schaeffer. It can be downloaded from here:

http://cid-fee40656660aa288.skydrive.li ... 0AA288!104
It does not include answers to the Greek-to-English exercises. But the rest is there.

Cheers,
Int

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Thank you very much, Interaxus!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Jefferson C:

My pleasure!

Cheers,
Int

rwhitnjapan
Textkit Neophyte

Crosby and Schaeffer answer key

Post by rwhitnjapan »

I took Greek back at UNC and kept all the correct answers in the book....somewhere. I can probably find the notebook that they are in. It was good to see that there is a site that gives the correct Greek translation for the English.
I also would like to join the yahoo group in going through this book and comparing answers, and ultimately creating an answer key for all. However, I will be starting from lesson 1 and I am sure if everyone else is pretty far along. Will there be a new class starting, and/or, can the people who have already gone all the way or part of the way through the book share their efforts? It would be appreciated.

Robert

TeresaWang
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TeresaWang »

Interaxus wrote:Actually, there was an original key (actually, Teacher's manual) to Crosby and Schaeffer. It can be downloaded from here:

http://cid-fee40656660aa288.skydrive.li ... 0AA288!104
It does not include answers to the Greek-to-English exercises. But the rest is there.

Cheers,
Int
The link is unavailable now,could you please share a new one? I am a Chinese girl b trying to learn Greek and need the answer key now. Thank you.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi TeresaWang,

Hope this works:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/311 ... manual.pdf

Cheers,
Int

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I've also put it up on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/CrosbyTeachersManual

It's not an answer key at all -- it's a teacher's manual, containing a great deal of useful advice for how to present the course to students, but nothing at all, I think, that would be useful for any student attempting to rob themselves of an education by avoiding the doing of the work themselves.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

jeidsath:

I beg to differ. ALL the answers requiring Greek are contained in the manual, starting with:

§7 (c), manual page 15.
§12(b), manual page 17.
§18(c), manual page 17.

And so on up to:

§504(b), manual page 59.

It's just a question of locating the right paragraph number in the manual that matches the exercise number in the textbook.

Can't understand why you presume language learners you know nothing about are necessarily work shy. Your attitude seems to reflect that of those old Greek teachers from the days when Greek was still on the curriculum.

However, your kindness in uploading the Crosby key to Internet Archive seems to prove you are a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Answer keys can provide invaluable help for self-learners.

Int