Rhapsodes

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Rhapsodes

Post by CanadianGirl »

Hi-Hope this isn't an off-topic subject: does anybody know how the Greek "Rhapsodes" differed from the poets? Were they just reciters/singers or did they compose some of their stuff (that would make them poets wouldn't it?) I am very interested in the Greek Lyric era & in Homer, so that is why I'm interested. Did the rhapsodes recite Homer mostly (or entirely) since he was the #1 author, or did they recite other poets' work too, and if so, didn't the poets recite their own work, exclusively? If the lyric poets performed their own work, why would there be a demand for rhapsodes? Any thoughts? Thanks! Paige.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

You may read Plato's Ion where Socrates speaks with the rhapsode Ion.

atefnazmy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atefnazmy »

iam student in faculty of art in ancient greek and latin department . we havnt agood book for ancient greek grammar . if any one know where i can find agood grammar reply me . i found some books about ancient greek grammar but some of the endings are deffrent of the ending that there are on the net.