Finished Pharr -> need a basic reader...

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
katzenjammer
Textkit Neophyte

Finished Pharr -> need a basic reader...

Post by katzenjammer »

Greetings, now that I've spent some time with lingua latina after mostly finishing Collins, I am amazed at how well those readers reinforce my basic Latin and instill confidence in actually reading rather than "decoding."

So, I'm wondering now: is there some resource similar to lingua latina in ancient or homeric Greek?

Thanks!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Finished Pharr -> need a basic reader...

Post by Markos »

katzenjammer wrote:is there some resource similar to lingua latina in ancient or homeric Greek?
ἰδοῦ.

http://jeltzz.com/Files/GreekNaturalMethod1-3.pdf

ἔρρωσο!
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

naturalphilosopher
Textkit Neophyte

Post by naturalphilosopher »

Pharr himself suggested several options to follow up his text. Those that stand out in my mind are:
* Read more Homer.
* Read some Hesiod.
* Read Herodotus.
Of particular interest (to me) is "Selections from Herodotus" by Barbour, which was explicitly intended to be used after Pharr.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Of particular interest (to me) is "Selections from Herodotus" by Barbour, which was explicitly intended to be used after Pharr.
A friend loaned me this the other day, and we read through one of the stories together. I enjoyed it. It has notes at the back, and a vocabulary. The vocabulary was well done, providing definitions instead of glosses, which can be the danger with these things. I thought that the notes were helpful, but I don't recall how much basic grammar info there was.

Helms' Apology is probably the most detailed commentary + help that I've ever seen for a text. I'd look into that if you have any interest in Plato.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

scotistic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotistic »

If you just finished Pharr's Homeric Greek, by far (Pharr!) the best thing you can do is read Steadman's Homer selections. In three inexpensive volumes you can get two more books from the Iliad and seven from the Odyssey, a very respectable chunk that will give plenty of good practice. This is the level you'll be at for quite a while. After that probably the standard thing to do would be to move on to Benner's selections from the Iliad. I wouldn't tackle the Barbour Herodotus until after doing this, if you want a smooth gradual progression.

Plato is a pretty big jump after Homer, even in Helms' little book. I'd recommend Lucian. Nimis and Hayes have a series of Lucian readers which are cheap and pleasant and much easier than Plato, in a similar format to the Steadman books.

Manuel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Manuel »

Also, Steadman's are available in PDF for free on his site. I actually prefer reading them on my iPad than I do the physical prints that he sells.