Ancient and Modern Greek on LingQ

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
gregf
Textkit Neophyte

Ancient and Modern Greek on LingQ

Post by gregf »

I don't think there was ever a general announcement here, but after a long wait we finally got Modern Greek added as a supported language on the language learning website http://www.lingq.com. (full disclosure: I'm just a happy user of the site.) There is a fair amount of MG material online to use, and I've noticed that some users are using the slot to learn Koine Greek as well: the website staff has helpfully added the Perseus dictionary tool (via Logion), so in theory any form of Greek from Homeric to Modern can be used on the site.

I've been using the MG slot to learn Modern Greek exclusively, and the Esperanto slot to import Homeric Greek (primarily the Iliad). I did this so as not to mix my MG and AG vocabularies on the site, but you may do things differently.

Please let me know if you sign up (username: gregf), I'd love to have more Greek learners on the site. It's a wonderful tool for reading and managing vocabulary acquisition.

jamesrothering
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ancient and Modern Greek on LingQ

Post by jamesrothering »

Hi, I'm trying out LingQ, but after importing a text, I don't see an option to use the Perseus dictionary for glosses. It uses modern Greek wiktionary or a "modern greek popup."

jamesrothering
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ancient and Modern Greek on LingQ

Post by jamesrothering »

So, I'm still very much a newbie on LingQ, but the support people informed me that the Perseus dictionary was available only from within the Latin language option. I imported a book there, and while I can't seem to practically use Perseus (it fails to find any entry, since it's looking for a Latin word), it does work with Logeion.