Translating 'would' in a result clause?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
cclaudian
Textkit Neophyte

Translating 'would' in a result clause?

Post by cclaudian »

Hey, I've got another composition question which falls outside the scope of my grammar textbooks. If I had an English sentence of the type, "This man speaks so eloquently that, if we were capable of it, we would do his bidding at once," how would I best capture the 'would' aspect of it.

On the face of things the subordinate clause is a conditional (present counterfactual) so I would just use εἰ + imperfect and imperfect + ἄν and that would be the end of it. But if I preferred to translate the conditional aspect of the sentence as a participle (something like σθένοντες / δυνάμενοι / ἔχοντες / εἴδοτες) how would I translate the 'would' in "would do his bidding at once", if the only options left to me in a result clause are an infinitive for 'natural result' and indicative for 'actual result'? Would tossing ἄν in there suffice? Can I use a potential optative in a result clause instead of an infinitive/indicative?

In short the question's in the title I s'pose. Thanks!

cclaudian
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translating 'would' in a result clause?

Post by cclaudian »

Edit whoops lol Smyth 2270 says exactly this lol. ἄν + inf appears to be fine