Writing 'Ancient Greek' in Ancient Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
JessGreen
Textkit Neophyte

Writing 'Ancient Greek' in Ancient Greek

Post by JessGreen »

Hi,

I am looking for the best way to write 'Ancient Greek' in Ancient Greek. Wondering if it is different to how it is written in modern Greek - Ἑλληνική? Does it have the word 'archaic' before it, or does modern Greek have a qualifier and 'Ancient Greek' is simply Greek?

Thank you in advance!
Jessica

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Writing 'Ancient Greek' in Ancient Greek

Post by Scribo »

???? Obviously the term wasn't used, but would have been the same as in modern Greek: ἀρχαῖα Ἑλληνικά.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Ἑλληνική is simply "Greek" and can be used for both the modern and ancient languages. If it didn't have the breathing, Ελληνική, it would generally apply to the modern language (or at least be written by a modern), as the breathing mark has been officially dropped from the modern language since 1982. Modern Greeks can also write Νέα Ελληνική or Αρχαία Ελληνική to distinguish.

Still, just including the breathing mark isn't really enough to distinguish things. Ἀρχαία Ἑλληνική with the breathing marks and the accent would be my choice, although it's obviously oxymoronic to imagine an ancient calling their language "ancient Greek."

It's all a very fraught question, with high feelings involved: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language_question

Re: Scribo

I believe that ἀρχαῖα would be the neuter plural, with ἀρχαία the feminine singular.

E.Hec 609, for example, shows that the final α is long.

σὺ δ’ αὖ λαβοῦσα τεῦχος, ἀρχαία λάτρι

EDIT 2: I see the Scribo is using the neuter plural for both. He very certainly knows something about modern Greek that I don't.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Yes, it's a tendency that arrises fairly early in Greek when describing languages. I suspect metonymically from e.g "Greek things" to including language. So, for example, Sanskrit can be Indike (though more usually he indike glossa) and then (ta) Indika.

Latin was, confusingly, referred to e.g as Romaika. I say confusing because as time went on, most remaining Romans were Greek speakers and thus Romaika began to refer to vernacular Greek (before, Arkhaia Hellenika, He Hellenike Glossa/Fone/Dialektos) and so Greek re-borrowed the word for Latin giving us Modern (ta) Latinika.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Or maybe ἡ παλαιὰ γλῶσσα (διάλεκτος) Ἑλληνική...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Logically, you can't write "ancient Geek" in ancient Greek because no one in ancient Greece would have referred to the contemporary language as "ancient Greek" and no one in ancient Greece knew of any earlier stage of the language.
Bill Walderman

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Hylander wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm Logically, you can't write "ancient Geek" in ancient Greek because no one in ancient Greece would have referred to the contemporary language as "ancient Greek" and no one in ancient Greece knew of any earlier stage of the language.
Technically true. This is the same problem we have when people ask us how to say things like "CEO of the Corporation" when there is no parallel concept. However, we can look at how they actually said stuff and then extrapolate. I will suggest that you can't always go in reverse, i.e., how it's said in modern Greek may not be the way the ancients would have said it. Better to look for as close a parallel as possible synchronic to the time period. We know how they described language, and we know how they referred to ancient things, so combining the two...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

So it would simply be Ἑλλάς γλῶσσα.
Bill Walderman

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »