Subject always in main clause?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mwh
Textkit Zealot

Subject always in main clause?

Post by mwh »

mwh wrote:When the main clause and a subordinate clause share the same subject it’s normally in the main clause, not the subordinate clause.
See the “An extra τῷ” thread for the genesis of this remark. As I said there, I’ll be genuinely grateful for any exceptions.

Anyone?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Subject always in main clause?

Post by jeidsath »

I did a long search for things like "ὡς ἐγὼ" and similar. I think that this is a candidate:

Xen.Mem 4.8.10: οἶδα δ’ ὅτι καὶ ἐγὼ ἐπιμελείας τεύξομαι ὑπ’ ἀνθρώπων

But I note that it's a passive with a "real" subject of ἄνθρωποι.
Some non-exceptions
Show
For a moment, I thought that Aristophanes Knight's 1100 was an exception:

μήπω γ᾿, ἱκετεύω σ᾿, ἀλλ᾿ ἀνάμεινον, ὡς ἐγὼ
κριθὰς ποριῶ σοι καὶ βίον καθ᾿ ἡμέραν.

But the subject of the "main" clause is really the subject of ἀνάμεινον, not ἱκετεύω.

Xen.Mem 4.8.10 also has this, which is the same sort of thing:

οἶδα γὰρ ἀεὶ μαρτυρήσεσθαί μοι ὅτι ἐγὼ ἠδίκησα μὲν οὐδένα πώποτε ἀνθρώπων οὐδὲ χείρω ἐποίησα

Here ἐγὼ contrasts with the subject of μαρτυρήσεσθαί, which is ἄνθρωποι from above.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Thanks Joel. Clearly the dictum should be revised to exclude indirect statement (“I think that I too …”, “I know that I …, while you …”, etc.) but I fancy it should apply to temporal clauses, conditional clauses, etc. And to Latin. The original was on the lines of “When (επει) Proust got home he had a nice cup of tea,” perfectly normal in English of course. (I suppose that would likely be a participle in Greek, not a subordinate clause at all.)

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I suppose indirect statement should cover this one too, although at first I thought μνησικακήσῃς was being used intransitively.

μὴ μνησικακήσῃς, εἰ σὺ Φυλὴν κατέλαβες.
ἀλλὰ ξύνοικον, πρὸς θεῶν, δέξασθέ με.

(Aristophanes Wealth 1146)
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

OK, so naturally it doesn’t apply if the subject of the subordinate clause is independently stressed.

“Don’t bear a grudge, if(=since) you captured Phyle.” ει συ comes very close to συ γαρ in sense here.
μνησικακήσῃς is intransitive but that’s immaterial. And this is quite different from indirect speech, but the same qualification holds.

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper »

What about Anabasis 1.1.1:

ἐπεὶ δὲ ἠσθένει Δαρεῖος καὶ ὑπώπτευε τελευτὴν τοῦ βίου, ἐβούλετο τὼ παῖδε ἀμφοτέρω παρεῖναι.

(I do think you are on to something. But might it be a function of tone rather than a syntactical rule?)

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Excellent! Thank you—and welcome to Textkit Callisper. This is just the sort of exception I was after. Here it must be relevant that it continues the opening sentence, which began with Darius (Δαρειου και Π.τιδος γινονται παιδες δυο, κτλ). It’s as if Δαρειος is just slipped in after επει δ’ ησθενει, to clarify that it’s Darius we’re talking about while avoiding giving him undue prominence by putting him outside the επει clause. To have started with Δαρειος δ επει ησθενει would have given the impression that we’ve switched to a new subject (which of course we have but only grammatically), while putting Darius on hold till the επει clause was over would have kept us waiting too long to find out just who it was that was sick. (Not Cyrus!)

To exaggerate the effect: “when he got sick (Darius, that is) and …” (Perhaps you could call that tone, but it’s still syntax.)

So the immediate context has to be taken into account. Is anything left of my rule? I think so, but circumstances alter cases.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

But is επει there introducing a real subordinate clause or is it only a simple conjunction?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

It’s a real subordinate clause all right. (The conjunction is δὲ.) The main clause is ἐβούλετο κτλ. I was trying to explain the presence of the subject (Δαρεῖος) within the subordinate clause instead of in the main clause, where it would ordinarily be. It's an interesting point I think, if a rather recondite one.
Here’s the passage (two sentences, separated by colon and connected by δὲ). Δαρείου καὶ Παρυσάτιδος γίγνονται παῖδες δύο, πρεσβύτερος μὲν Ἀρταξέρξης, νεώτερος δὲ Κῦρος: ἐπεὶ δὲ ἠσθένει Δαρεῖος καὶ ὑπώπτευε τελευτὴν τοῦ βίου, ἐβούλετο τὼ παῖδε ἀμφοτέρω παρεῖναι. (Perseus’ colon represents an editor’s high stop, but it’s the syntax that shows this is a sentence in its own right.)