Difference between "ἀπό" and "ἐκ"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
shaunthesheep
Textkit Neophyte

Difference between "ἀπό" and "ἐκ"

Post by shaunthesheep »

Hi guys~

I just wonder what is the difference between "ἀπό" and "ἐκ"?

My understanding is that "ἀπό" is applied to humans (maybe animals as well?), while "ἐκ" is applied to things (both concrete ones like pots or abstract ones like thoughts).
Last edited by shaunthesheep on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Difference between "πόα" and "ἐκ"

Post by bedwere »

πόα means grass. Some animals do enjoy it. Especially βοῦς,, πρόβατα etc. Do you mean ἀπό? :wink:

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

πόα means "grass." Do you perhaps mean ἀπό?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

A primary sense of εκ (and it's worth reading the full LSJ article on these eventually, but it will probably not make much sense to you right now) is "out of" something. That is, motion from within to outside.

απο, on the other hand, has one primary sense of "away from", indicating separation.

In the language, however, they both have many different functions, of which many overlap.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

shaunthesheep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by shaunthesheep »

bedwere wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:26 am πόα means grass. Some animals do enjoy it. Especially βοῦς,, πρόβατα etc. Do you mean ἀπό? :wink:
yes I meant "ἀπό".Sorry I am just a dumb beginner...

shaunthesheep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by shaunthesheep »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 am πόα means "grass." Do you perhaps mean ἀπό?
ah...yes...

shaunthesheep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by shaunthesheep »

jeidsath wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am A primary sense of εκ (and it's worth reading the full LSJ article on these eventually, but it will probably not make much sense to you right now) is "out of" something. That is, motion from within to outside.

απο, on the other hand, has one primary sense of "away from", indicating separation.

In the language, however, they both have many different functions, of which many overlap.
Sounds a bit philosophical...Thank you Jeidsath I got the point.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Difference between "ἀπό" and "ἐκ"

Post by seneca2008 »

No it’s very practical. If you were going through a gate and out of a town that would not be the same as going away from the town walls. You can draw yourself a picture to illustrate the difference.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.