Reading Suggestions

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Suggestions

Post by Andriko »

Hi all,

I am at a point where I can read the bible (more or less), and would like to step it up a notch.

It has already been suggested here that I try Xenophon, but I was curious if there was anything else that would be fun and interesting? For example, is there a good Platonic dialogue that might be a decent place to start?

Also, and I am not sure if this might be better in the Koine forum or not, but is there anything from the Hellenistic period that was written in Attic style that is also very approachable?

I was going through 'Kallirhoe' when I was bored at work, and found it quite fun (it seems to basically be a trashy romance novel), so would finding something a little more offbeat like that be worth my effort?I know that during this period there was an attempt to maintain Attic in literature, so would I be right in assuming that it would be a good place to develop my attic, whilst still having fun reading it?

Thanks,

A

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Reading Suggestions

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Anything by Lucian of Samasota is fun and interesting, and you will not find the Greek too difficult. There are some nice intermediate reader additions available:

https://www.amazon.com/Lucians-Dialogue ... 1-fkmrnull

Nimis has several other reader editions easily found by searching Amazon.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

Thanks Barry. Lucian does look like a good laugh!

I have also found them with free pdf's at http://www.faenumpublishing.com/available-texts.html

Thanks,

A

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I've read the Faenum texts, and liked them. There were some typos, but it's not bad.

Helm's Apology, on the other hand, is the best example of its type that I've ever seen. Very good detail on notes and links to Smyth. Especially if you're interested in reading some Plato.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

If you're interested in Plato and in getting an introduction to Attic prose, the Apology would be a good place to start. It's not too long and not too difficult, and there are plenty of annotated editions. It's ok to use a translation where you need help. Equip yourself with the intermediate Liddell & Scott dictionary.

Daphnis and Chloe is another text you might consider. It's not pure 5th-4th c. Attic, but excellent post-Attic Greek and well-written. It's very accessible and it's a classic text that has had an influential afterlife in literature. There is a text with copious notes and lots of help designed for readers exactly like you who have gone through a Greek textbook and are looking to begin reading continuous Greek prose:

https://www.amazon.com/Longus-Daphnis-C ... 118&sr=8-2
Bill Walderman

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I was going through 'Kallirhoe' when I was bored at work, and found it quite fun (it seems to basically be a trashy romance novel)
I think someone should stick up for Callirhoe. It’s a bit harsh to describe it as “trashy”. Indeed it might not even be best described as a “romance”. See “ chapter 6. Callirhoe and Parthenope: The Beginnings of the Historical Novel, Tomas Hägg” in “Oxford Readings in the Greek Novel Edited by Simon Swain” OUP 1999.

My advice is read what you enjoy. This is more important then the whether someone thinks it’s “good” or not.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

Thanks for the help guys, some brilliant suggestions. I have got Helm's 'Apology', which I am slowly working my way through (in a lackadaisical and casual way). I'm mostly getting the rough gist, so it's nice to see how I've improving (the last time I looked at this, all I understood was 'Athenian men').

And Seneca, I refer to it as trashy in the most affectionate way possible! It's a fun read, and was also surprisingly accessible, and definatley helped pass the time at work, though sadly I have only gotten a few pages in.

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

Just wanted to say thanks again and ask for some more suggestions - I am really enjoying Helm's edition, and can get through the preliminary section more or less fluently now (next section gets a bit tougher!).

Would any of you recommend any 'unseen' readers, and so on? It's be nice to have pick and put down type things for when I am unable to keep working through the text book. I was thinking maybe 'Little Greek Reader' by Morewood and Anderson.

Thanks,

A