Ευ εχει

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Ευ εχει

Post by Constantinus Philo »

Can accusativus cum inf. depend on ευ εχει, ορθώς έχει and similar expressions. Smythe does not mention this, however in 1984, he alludes to inf. dependent on quasi impersonal verbs.
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ευ εχει

Post by jeidsath »

Specifically for ἔχει? The LSJ occurs to me as the place to research this. And we have:
B.II.2. freq. with Advbs. of manner, εὖ ἔχει Od.24.245,
etc.; καλῶς ἔχει, κακῶς ἔχει, it is, is going on
well or ill, v. καλός, κακός (but fut. σχήσειν καλῶς
will turn out well, D.1.9, cf. 18.45; εὖ σχήσει
S.Aj.684); οὕτως . . σχεῖν to turn out, happen thus,
Pl.Ap.39b; οὕτως ἔχει so the case stands, Ar.Pl.110;
οὕτως ἐχόντων, Lat. cum res ita se habeant,
X.An.3.2.10; ὡς ὧδ’ ἐχόντων S.Aj.981; οὕτω χρὴ διὰ
στέρνων ἔχειν Id.Ant.639; οὕτως ἔ. περί τινος
X.Mem.4.8.7, cf. Hdt.6.16; πρός τι D.9.45; τῇδ’ ἔ.
S.Ph.1336; κοσμίως ἔ. Ar.Th.854; ἥδιον ἔ. πρός τινας
D.9.63; ὡς εἶχε just as he was, Hdt.1.114; ὥσπερ
εἶχε Th.1.134, X.HG4.1.30; ὡς ἔχω how I am,
Ar.Lys.610; ὥσπερ ἔχομεν Th.3.30; τἀναντία εἶχεν
D.9.41; ἀσφαλέως, ἀναγκαίως ἔχει, = ἀσφαλές,
ἀναγκαῖόν ἐστι, Hdt.1.86,9.27; καλῶς ἔχει no, I
thank you, v. καλός.
A.III.1. c.inf., have means or power to do, to be able, c.
aor. inf., Il.7.217, 16.110, etc.: c. pres. inf.,
Od.18.364, etc.; πόλλ’ ἂν λέγειν ἔχοιμι S.Ph.1047:
sts. with inf. omitted or supplied from context,
ἀλλ’ οὔ πως ἔτι εἶχε he could not, Il.17.354; οἷά κ’
ἔχωμεν so far as we be able, Od.15.281; ἐξ οἵων ἔχω
S.El.1379; ὅσον εἶχες E.IA1452; ὡς ἔχω Id.Hec.614.
They don't seem to mix, from what I can tell by the entry. But maybe there is an example of it happening?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Did a quick search through some of the Perseus documents, found this lovely gem in Plutarch:

ὅθεν εὖ ἔχει τὸ τὴν νύκτα καὶ τὸν ὕπνον ἐν μέσῳ θεμένους καὶ ποιήσαντας ἱκανὸν διάλειμμα καὶ διάστημα καθαροὺς αὖθις ὥσπερ ἐξ ὑπαρχῆς καὶ ‘νέα ἐφʼ ἡμέρῃ φρονέοντας’ κατὰ Δημόκριτον ἀνίστασθαι. ’ Plut. QC 3.6.4

Plutarch. (1892). Moralia. (G. N. Bernardakis, Ed.) (Vol. 4, p. 125). Medford, MA: Teubner.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

ὅθεν εὖ ἔχει τὸ τὴν νύκτα καὶ τὸν ὕπνον ἐν μέσῳ θεμένους καὶ ποιήσαντας ἱκανὸν διάλειμμα καὶ διάστημα καθαροὺς αὖθις ὥσπερ ἐξ ὑπαρχῆς καὶ ‘νέα ἐφʼ ἡμέρῃ φρονέοντας’ κατὰ Δημόκριτον ἀνίστασθαι. ’ Plut. QC 3.6.4
Maybe I'm misreading, but isn't that just εὖ ἔχει with τὸ...ἀνίστασθαι as the subject, rather than an infinitive dependent on the verb?

Also, while I think that I understand what's going on in the sentence, I'd hate to try putting it into English.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

jeidsath wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:28 pm
Maybe I'm misreading, but isn't that just εὖ ἔχει with τὸ...ἀνίστασθαι as the subject, rather than an infinitive dependent on the verb?

Also, while I think that I understand what's going on in the sentence, I'd hate to try putting it into English.
Ah, good observation, probably, the τό would seem to indicate that. And this is a fairly typical Plutarchean sentence... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

Therefore, according to Democritus, it is good for those who place their night and sleep in between, making due intervals and pauses, to wake up refreshed again as from the beginning thinking about new things during the day.
Semper Fidelis