ιερά?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

ιερά?

Post by Lukas »

Hello:

I am an older adult who is starting to learn (more accurately, try to learn) Attic Greek. I am using the textbook by Dr. Mastronarde and am a little stuck with a word: ιερά. With the alpha ending, I at first thought it was a feminine gender. But then I reread that it means "offerings," so now I am wondering if it is a neuter plural? If it is, would the singular be neuter?

Sorry for the basic question. I am new at this.

Lukas
Λουκᾶς

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: ιερά?

Post by jeidsath »

Welcome!

Properly, it's an adjective: ἱερός, ἱερά (long alpha), ἱερόν. In the plural, that would be ἱεροί, ἱεραί, ἱερά (short alpha).

However, the neuter plural of this adjective is often treated as a substantive (noun): ἱερά, meaning "offerings."

The same thing is done with the neuter singular, ἱερόν, but that means something else -- usually "holy place."

The LSJ has a list of the different ways this adjective as a substantive in its entry for ἱερός (see section III).
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

What is the LSJ? Besides that, ευχαριστώ! The information is very helpful.

Lukas
Λουκᾶς

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Lukas wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:26 pm What is the LSJ? Besides that, ευχαριστώ! The information is very helpful.

Lukas
Liddell Scott and Jones Greek Lexicon, available in multiple locations on line.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...