The meaning of ηρου Phaed 61e

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

The meaning of ηρου Phaed 61e

Post by Constantinus Philo »

If ηρου is from ερομαι it must mean asked or inquired. In Phaed 61e however this meaning does not fit the context so they translated it as said. Shouldn't the lexicons include this meaning also? Ήδη γαρ εγωγε όπερ νυνδε συ ηρου...και Φιλολάου ήκουσα....ως ου δεοι τούτο ποιείν. I have heard from Philolaus the same thing that you have just said - not asked- that one should not do this.
Semper Fidelis

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Re: The meaning of ηρου Phaed 61e

But in the French translation it is Pour ma part, pour en revenir à ta question de tout à l’heure, j’ai déjà entendu dire à Philolaos, quand il séjournait parmi nous, et à plusieurs autres aussi, qu’on n’a pas le droit de se tuer.
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

What is the context that it doesn’t fit? Can you quote that too?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

τί δέ, ὦ Κέβης; οὐκ ἀκηκόατε σύ τε καὶ Σιμμίας περὶ τῶν τοιούτων Φιλολάῳ συγγεγονότες;

οὐδέν γε σαφές, ὦ Σώκρατες.

ἀλλὰ μὴν καὶ ἐγὼ ἐξ ἀκοῆς περὶ αὐτῶν λέγω· ἃ μὲν οὖν τυγχάνω ἀκηκοὼς φθόνος οὐδεὶς λέγειν. καὶ γὰρ ἴσως [61e] καὶ μάλιστα πρέπει μέλλοντα ἐκεῖσε ἀποδημεῖν διασκοπεῖν τε καὶ μυθολογεῖν περὶ τῆς ἀποδημίας τῆς ἐκεῖ, ποίαν τινὰ αὐτὴν οἰόμεθα εἶναι· τί γὰρ ἄν τις καὶ ποιοῖ ἄλλο ἐν τῷ μέχρι ἡλίου δυσμῶν χρόνῳ;

κατὰ τί δὴ οὖν ποτε οὔ φασι θεμιτὸν εἶναι αὐτὸν ἑαυτὸν ἀποκτεινύναι, ὦ Σώκρατες; ἤδη γὰρ ἔγωγε, ὅπερ νυνδὴ σὺ ἤρου, καὶ Φιλολάου ἤκουσα, ὅτε παρ᾽ ἡμῖν διῃτᾶτο, ἤδη δὲ καὶ ἄλλων τινῶν, ὡς οὐ δέοι τοῦτο ποιεῖν· σαφὲς δὲ περὶ αὐτῶν οὐδενὸς πώποτε οὐδὲν ἀκήκοα. [62a] ἀλλὰ προθυμεῖσθαι χρή, ἔφη· τάχα γὰρ ἂν καὶ ἀκούσαις. ἴσως μέντοι
Now I can see that it may refer to socrates' question at the beginning, the English translation however is not accurate then.
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I don’t know what English translation you might be using, but looking at the Greek he seems to be referring to that earlier question, yes.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

I'm reading phaedo consulting the English translation on Perseus
Semper Fidelis

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

The Loeb has
I’ve already heard Philolaus ask the question you’ve just asked when he was living in our city and I’ve actually heard other people too, saying you shouldn’t do it, but I’ve never heard anyone say anything definite about it.”
I think your question shows the limitation of your methods. The Perseus translation may be loose but I don’t think it materially departs from the meaning of the Greek.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.