Phaed 65b

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Phaed 65b

Post by Constantinus Philo »

Is this kind of anacoluthon or how to classify this irregularity after τοιαύτα and before και: ἆρα ἔχει ἀλήθειάν τινα ὄψις τε καὶ ἀκοὴ τοῖς ἀνθρώποις, ἢ τά γε τοιαῦτα καὶ οἱ ποιηταὶ ἡμῖν ἀεὶ θρυλοῦσιν, ὅτι οὔτ᾽ ἀκούομεν ἀκριβὲς οὐδὲν οὔτε ὁρῶμεν; καίτοι εἰ αὗται τῶν περὶ τὸ σῶμα αἰσθήσεων μὴ ἀκριβεῖς εἰσιν μηδὲ σαφεῖς, σχολῇ αἵ γε ἄλλαι· πᾶσαι γάρ που τούτων φαυλότεραί εἰσιν. ἢ σοὶ οὐ δοκοῦσιν;
Semper Fidelis

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Re: Phaed 65b

ok i will translate it according to my understanding : do sight and hearing have any truth for men, or are they such and the poets are constantly droning that we neither hear nor see anything precisely...... there is something missing after they are such in the greek text
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Adverbial καί rather than conjunctive καί, I would think. "Even"
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

It seems to make sense: do sight and hearing have any truth for men, or -such things even the poets drone into our ears-, namely, that we neither hear nor see anything clearly. It is an anacoluthon.
Semper Fidelis

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Smyth 2875:
2875. After expressions of sameness and likeness καί has the force of as (Lat. ac). Thus, ““ὁ αὐτὸς ὑ_μῖν στόλος ἐστὶ καὶ ἡμῖν” your expedition is the same as ours” X. A. 2.2.10, ““οὐχ ὁμοίως καὶ πρίν” not the same as before” T. 7.28, ἴσα καὶ ἱκέται the same as suppliants 3. 14, ““ταὐτὰ καί” the same as” X. C. 1.3.18. This use is commoner in prose than poetry.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0007

LSJ καί A.III:
III. after words implying sameness or like ness, as, γνώμῃσι ἐχρέωντο ὁμοίῃσι κ. σύ they had the same opinion as you, Hdt.7.50, cf. 84; ἴσον or ἴσα κ. . . , S.OT611, E.El.994; ἐν ἴσῳ (sc. ἐστὶ)“ κ. εἰ . . ” Th.2.60, etc.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... %3Dkai%2F1

See also Denniston Greek Particles καί I(7).
Bill Walderman

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

So τα is subject τοιαύτα predicate: or they are such as the poets....
Semper Fidelis

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Yes.
Bill Walderman

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Thanks
Semper Fidelis

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Please gimme your opinion on my two other recent posts from Phaed concerning ώσπερ and δύναται
Semper Fidelis