Thucydides with facing vocab and commentary?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
exorcist
Textkit Neophyte

Thucydides with facing vocab and commentary?

Post by exorcist »

Can anyone recommend a Thucydides reader with facing vocab and commentary for the entire work? I did a search on Textkit and found viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68045, which I assume means people are using an English translation and separate commentary to read Thucydides.

But if something like a Steadman exists for the entire Thucydides, I would really like to know!

Callisper
Textkit Member

Re: Thucydides with facing vocab and commentary?

Post by Callisper »

Certainly this will exist in Latin, but I doubt whether it would in English (for the whole of Thucydides).

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

I don't know of one and kind of doubt you're going to find such, at least in English. But in addition to the Textkit thread you linked to, here's another one that has some very helpful information about resources (see especially the contributions of John W.).

exorcist
Textkit Neophyte

Post by exorcist »

Thanks Callisper and Randy! I actually bookmarked that thread prior to posting because it seemed likely to be useful. :-)

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

What are these Latin commentaries with vocab that are mentioned? Do they exist for most Greek works?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper »

jeidsath wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm What are these Latin commentaries with vocab that are mentioned? Do they exist for most Greek works?
Ah sorry - I misunderstood the focus of the question - I doubt whether there would be anything would facing vocab. That said, Neo-Latin commentaries and translations of all Greek authors proliferated in the Renaissance and I could provide some pointers on that. Let me know.