Greek third declension nouns

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bombardier
Textkit Neophyte

Greek third declension nouns

Post by Bombardier »

I am currently studying Classical Greek at the City Literary Institute in Central London using the Cambridge University Press 'Reading Greek' textbooks. Part of the homework this week is to practise the declension of αλωπηξ (fox), φυλαξ (guard), σαλπιγξ (war trumpet) and κλωπος (thief). They are all third declension nouns similar to νυξ, νυκτος (night). I am just not sure about the third person plural of each of them and there is no help in the 'Reading Greek' Grammar and Exercises volume. Would be grateful indeed for any specific help or suggestions about Greek grammar books available online.
David Girling

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Greek third declension nouns

Post by Scribo »

Here you go, here are the paradigms:

https://www.ccel.org/s/smyth/grammar/ht ... 2e_uni.htm
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

"Third person plural" is for verbs. Nouns don't have "person". In English, the person in "I go, you go, he goes, we go, you go, they go" is "I, you, he, we, you, they".

Nouns have case and number instead. Singular/Dual/Plural and Nominative/Accusative/Dative/Genitive/Vocative. To find the plural forms, start with the genitive singular, and use the endings from Scribo's link.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Bombardier
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bombardier »

My apologies, jeidsath, for such a basic error! I should have said dative plural. I have been learning and using various languages all my life – how could I make such a basic error in my email. I do have the genitive singular of each of the nouns quoted and can list with certainty all cases except dative plural. It must be something like νυξι(ν) – to avoid νυκτ-σι(ν). And thank you, Scribo. I will, somewhat chastened, hie me to the link you provided.

Many thanks to you both.

David Girling

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

No worries. I've been using language for most of my life, and still have plenty of problems with it.

The dative plural endings often show transformation due to the sigma. The ending is -σι, and different stems change differently when they come into contact with it.

Things to watch out for are πσ = ψ, (φλεψί) and κσ = ξ (φύλαξι). τσ usually becomes σ (θησί), but ντσ drops ντ and lengthens the preceding vowel (γέρουσι from γεροντ-ος gen). ν is dropped (ποιμέσι from ποιμέν-ος). There are probably some other gotchas, but I think those are the main ones.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

wilberfloss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wilberfloss »

Hi, Bombardier.

There is a stem + ending consonant chart on pages 388-389 of the Reading Greek Grammar and Exercises volume which should be of use.

Bombardier
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bombardier »

Many thanks for more helpful comments. The subsequent lesson went into third declension nouns in considerable depth and I am now much clearer about vowel and consonant changes particularly with the dative plural.