Ar.Arch.947 Bœotian θερίδδειν

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Ar.Arch.947 Bœotian θερίδδειν

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

“Ar.Arch.947” wrote:μέλλω γά τοι θερίδδειν.
Is this θερίδδειν somehow a Bœotian pronunciation of something else than just θερίζειν? The meaning “harvest” seems out of place here.

The broader context can be read here
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ar.Arch.947 Bœotian θερίδδειν

Post by mwh »

No it’s just the “Boeotian” rendering of Attic θερίζειν, however problematic the imagery might seem.

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ar.Arch.947 Bœotian θερίδδειν

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

mwh wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 am however problematic the imagery might seem.
I have some ideas about how μέλλω θερίειν might work on its own, but together with συνθέριζε definitely complicates the possibilities.

Given that the trigger happy censorial policy on Textkit curtailed my other recent discussion before it was never able to fully explore the available physical imagery of pottery binding, let alone the metaphoric imagery of binding up a person like pottery that underpins about 30 lines and moved it into the Academy, I suggest not following through with a discussion of the imagery that (συν)θερίζειν invokes. It seems that I am too used to the freedom of speech and expression that we enjoy in China.

K.I.S.S., because superficialities are never offensive or challenging.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;