meno 99a

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

meno 99a

Post by Constantinus Philo »

ὧν δὲ ἄνθρωπος ἡγεμών ἐστιν ἐπὶ τὸ ὀρθόν, δύο ταῦτα, δόξα ἀληθὴς καὶ ἐπιστήμη. is this ὧν genetive of source/ Genitivus originis. In some editions it is replαced by ᾧ which is easier to understand.
Last edited by Constantinus Philo on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fidelis

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: meno 99a

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Constantinus Philo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm ὧν δὲ ἄνθρωπος ἡγεμών ἐστιν ἐπὶ τὸ ὀρθόν, δύο ταῦτα, δόξα ἀληθὴς καὶ ἐπιστήμη. is this ὧν genetive of source/ Genetivus originis. In some editions it is replαced by ᾧ which is easier to understand.
I can't stand it anymore. Genitive. Spelled with an "i." If you insist on using the Latin terminology, genitivus.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

but could you answer plz if it really looks like G of source.
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 pmIf you insist on using the Latin terminology, genitivus.
Are you sure?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

jeidsath wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 pmIf you insist on using the Latin terminology, genitivus.
Are you sure?
Well, I was, until you made me look. OLD and L&S both have genetivus. I confess I never checked, but simply followed the modern texts I have which which supply Latin grammatical terminology, and use genitivus. The otherwise generally reliable online etymology site also spells it that way:

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=genitive
etymonline wrote: genitive (adj.)
late 14c., in reference to the grammatical case, from Old French genitif or directly from Latin (casus) genitivus "case expressing possession, source, or origin," from genitivus "of or belonging to birth," from genitus, past participle of gignere "to beget, produce" (from PIE root *gene- "give birth, beget," with derivatives referring to procreation and familial and tribal groups). This word was misused by Latin grammarians to render Greek genike (ptosis) "the general or generic (case)," expressing race or kind, genikos also meaning "belonging to the family," from genos "family, race, birth, descent," from the same PIE root. The noun meaning "the genitive case in grammar" is from 1610s.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Hi Barry,
It got me wondering too, so I checked out that reference to Lachmann in Lewis & Short. Apparently, it was spelt as genetivus casus up until the sixth century! Here's the link:
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_7jc8 ... J/page/n17
The german grammars have it written with the i (Genitivus casus, genitivus absolutus)