Morwood, Oxford Grammar

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Morwood, Oxford Grammar

Post by hlawson38 »

This is a sentence to translate in Morwood, Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek, p. 129, no. 1, Practice Sentences.
Ἦν δέ τις ἐν τῇ στρατιᾷ Ξενοφῶν Ἀθηναῖος, ὃς οὔτε
στρατηγὸς οὔτε λοχαγὸς οὔτε στρατιώτης ὢν συνηκολούθει. . .
Translation: "There was a man with [ἐν]the army Xenophon an Athenian, who, neither a general, nor a captain, nor a soldier, actually [ ὢν] just went along with them [συνηκολούθει] . . . "
Hugh Lawson

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Morwood, Oxford Grammar

Post by RandyGibbons »

Sorry, Hugh, I missed what your question is here. Is that your translation, and you're asking commentary on it?

Randy

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

The ὢν goes with στρατηγὸς οὔτε λοχαγὸς οὔτε στρατιώτης (predicates of ὢν), making a participial phrase. Lit. “who, being neither A B or C, followed along.” It can be read as concessive, “although he was neither …".

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

For RandyGibbons: I've been slowly making my way through Mastronarde, about 1/2 way now. I have a key to Mastronarde, so that's OK, even if the detail is daunting; but I'm also trying to find my way around in Morwood in order to have a quick reference. I can't find a key to Morwood's exercises.

For mwh: Many thanks; now I see why I had so much trouble with Morwood's exercise problem. I haven't got to participles yet.
Hugh Lawson

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

I've been doing similar (carrying Morwood around for practice). From my experience, I wouldn't worry too much about an answer key for him, as I have found that reading his sentences has been a good way of testing my progress.

A few months ago, I struggled with some which I now understand fine as I have learned to concepts. Knowing the answers would somewhat hinder this.