Finished books I-IV of Anabasis

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Kurama
Textkit Neophyte

Finished books I-IV of Anabasis

Post by Kurama »

So I finally finished working through Mather and Hewitt's edition of the Anabasis (took me 18 months). I have also read twice Euthyphro, Apology and Crito. I have started with Phaedo. I am now wondering whether I should re-read Anabasis I-IV now or just continue with the remaining books. I have also been thinking about reading some Lysias. Do you have any advice on how to proceed from now on?

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Finished books I-IV of Anabasis

Post by Scribo »

Re-reading is actually key in language acquisition. It's certainly key to classical languages. I mean I too literally just re-read the Anabasis. Read it in bed, start to finish, in a few days. There were certainly details I had missed the first few times I read it. Why? It's wonderful.

Yes, Lysias is also a good shout. Try reading a broad swathe of Attic oratory. I've been working my way through Aeschines, very enjoyable.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

In addition to re-reading, the last few chapters of the Anabasis are even more interesting than the first four.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

i would suggest go on reading as for re-reading you could do it later when u have assimilated more new material
Semper Fidelis