pay tribute / οισομεν ???

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

pay tribute / οισομεν ???

Post by Asterisk1234 »

Mastronarde Unit 18, exercise III (Reading), number 7. (page 153)
"τω προτερω ετει περι των χρηματων ουκ επειθομεθα τω βαρβαρω τυραννω, ουδε φορον αυτω αυθις οισομεν"
The answer key gives "In the previous year we did not obey the foreign tyrant concerning the money, nor will we pay tribute to him in the future"
My problem is with the last part of the answer, i.e., "nor will we pay tribute to him in the future". I see ... nor tribute to him..., but I understand "αυθισ οισομεν" to mean "again we will think (or believe or suppose)".
What is going on here? Is there some kind of idiom involved?
Thanks to all.
Asterisk1234
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: pay tribute / οισομεν ???

Post by jeidsath »

φέρω is a bit of a wild verb. Its future is οἴσω, and it has aorists ἤνεγκα/ἤνεγκον. You'll find that the LSJ has a full discussion of its forms.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polemistes »

Also notice that οἴομαι doesn't have an active form, and it's future is οἰήσομαι (3rd. pl. οἰησόμεθα).

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Joel is right.

Edit: on p. 140 you will see the following, so you don't need to look anything up in a dictionary, although it is always interesting to do so:

iii). ... φόρον φέρουσιν. They pay tribute.

The principle parts of φέρω are given on page 52 unit 5.

φέρω, οἴσω, ἤνεγκον or ἤνεγκα (stem ἐνεγκ-), ἐνήνοχα, ἐνήνεγμαι, ἠνέχθην

On p 151 Mastronade says

"2. If you have not already been studying principal parts other than the present, begin learning the second and third principal parts now. Review the lists in Units 5, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16, and 17, and here. The online supplements include compiled and classified lists of principal parts for Units 5–20, which will also help you learn these principal parts."

This is good advice.

οἴσω is glossed on p 461.

Middle Liddle has the following entry for φέρω

"IV
5. to pay something due or owing, φόρον φέρειν to pay as tax or tribute, Thuc.; μισθὸν φ. Xen. (but also to receive pay, Ar., Thuc.):—of property, to bring in, yield as rent, Isae."

(you can access it through legion here: https://logeion.uchicago.edu/φέρω
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Post by donhamiltontx »

Knowing these parts pays further dividends, because φέρω has several compounds, some of which show up rather frequently. The list of them below comes from E. C. Ferguson, An Aid to Greek at Sight (Chicago 1890). That book covers more than the title suggests, including giving a number of compound verbs. My copy came from archive.org, I think, but I can't locate it now. PM me if you would like me to furnish you a copy.

ἀναφέρω, ἀντιφέρω, ἀποφέρω, διαφέρω, εἰσφέρω
ἐκφέρω, ἐπιφέρω, καταφέρω, μεταφέρω, παραφέρω
περιφέρω, προφέρω, προσφέρω, συμφέρω, ὑπερφέρω
ὑποφέρω

Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Post by Asterisk1234 »

Many thanks to all -
As usual, you gave me excellent guidance and solved my problem. I will spare you my lengthy excuses for getting so confused...
Best regards to everyone.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός