Accents in Participles

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hairetikon
Textkit Neophyte

Accents in Participles

Post by hairetikon »

I am generally ok with the accents of 1st and 2nd declension nouns and with the recessive accents of verbs, but participles got me confused. Consider, for example, the middle/passive present tense participles of λύω, and consider in particular the feminine λυομένη, whose genitive plural is λυομένων. Now, I would have expected a circumflex on the ultima because I thought a circumflex on the ultima was a rule for 1st declension nouns. Perhaps a participle does not count as a noun, but if so, how do we determine the accent for participles? Is it recessive like verbs, is it persistent like nouns, or even a combination of both?

truks
Textkit Member

Re: Accents in Participles

Post by truks »

The rules for the accentuation of participles vary depending on the type of participle. For middle/passives, the accent is persistent on the syllable preceding the participial suffix.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Accents in Participles

Post by Aetos »

Check Smyth §209. The feminine pl. genitive is accented like the masculine pl. gen, thus λυομένων. This also applies to 1st/2nd declension adjectives ending in -ος,-η,-ον. The feminine sg. λυομένη takes the acute on the penult because the ultima is long.