Learning ancient Greek as a native modern Greek speaker

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lysias
Textkit Neophyte

Learning ancient Greek as a native modern Greek speaker

Post by Lysias »

Hello.
I'm Greek and I've been taking courses in Ancient Greek in Europe. Because of my knowledge of modern Greek I feel like I'm cheating, they are a bit too easy. (already know 95% of basic vocab we are assigned, understand instantaneously the phrases (the adapted ones for the class's current level) , reading out loud is natural (even if the pronunciation is different than the one I'm used to but it's easy to adapt) , certain concepts or morphological things are the same or nearly, generally just easier κτλ)
I've been thinking it could be a much faster process to learn using methods for native modern Greek speakers. Can anyone here recommend me something? Preferably methods applicable auto-didactably.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Learning ancient Greek as a native modern Greek speaker

Post by Aetos »

If you haven't already, you can check this short thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69732

All that I would add is that I find treating Ancient Greek as a different language keeps me from the pitfall of assuming words don't change their meaning over time. Back in my old job, when we were training for a type rating in a new aircraft, there were always many specifications, procedures, limitations and bits of systems information that usually were quite different from those of a previous aircraft, but occasionally deceptively similar, so we would make a conscious effort to "dump" any information on aircraft we no longer flew. It's not that we were trying to forget how to fly (speaking modern Greek), we were just making "mental room" for new information and trying to avoid confusing new information with old.
EDIT: Added Link.
If you'd like to see how ancient Greek is taught in Greece, have a look at this site:
http://ebooks.edu.gr/new/allcourses.php
Just click on "Αρχαία Ελληνική Γλώσσα και Γραμματεία"

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Lysias wrote:
I'm Greek and I've been taking courses in Ancient Greek in Europe. Because of my knowledge of modern Greek I feel like I'm cheating, they are a bit too easy. (already know 95% of basic vocab we are assigned, understand instantaneously the phrases (the adapted ones for the class's current level) ,
What this and similar statements about the difficulty of Greek seem to miss is that the difficulties of grammar and vocabulary are totally dwarfed by the much greater difficulties posed by understanding and interpretation. There really isn’t much in the Greek language that’s hard to understand from a conceptual point of view for the reader. There is however a lot to learn and a wide vocabulary the latter resulting in part at least from the high literary register of most of the texts that we read.

I don’t want to underplay the importance of philology and the study of linguistics but most people learn Greek to understand texts. A Good command of grammar is of course essential before embarking on interpretation, vocabulary can always be looked up. In the uk Greek is still taught in prep schools so those who enjoy a private education will arrive at University with much more experience in the Greek Language than a lot of their state counterparts. If you have a head start because of Modern Greek I wouldn’t feel to bad about it. There are many other inequalities in all educational systems.

I do feel that some people who seem to know Greek quite well struggle when it comes to understanding what it is that they are reading.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

seneca2008 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:37 am There really isn’t much in the Greek language that’s hard to understand from a conceptual point of view for the reader. There is however a lot to learn and a wide vocabulary the latter resulting in part at least from the high literary register of most of the texts that we read.
They should put this at the front of every Greek text book.