Meaning of "προς+ gen"; M vs JACT.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Meaning of "προς+ gen"; M vs JACT.

Post by Asterisk1234 »

M gives "from, proceeding from" on p. 72, 75, and 463, while JACT gives "in the name/under the protection", on p. 283 of "Text and vocabulary". I can't reconcile the two definitions.
Who's right? (I tend to believe M more than JACT...)
Thanks to all.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Meaning of "προς+ gen"; M vs JACT.

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Both are correct.

A. WITH GEN., πρός refers to that from which something comes:

[...]

III. of dependence or close connexion: hence,
1. dependent on one, under one’s protection, π. Διός εἰσι ξεῖνοί τε πτωχοί τε Od.6.207, 14.57; δικασπόλοι, οἵ τε θέμιστας π. Διὸς εἰρύαται by commission from him, Il.1.239; π. ἄλλης ἱστὸν ὑφαίνοις at the bidding of another, 6.456.

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 1497). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

JACT is giving one specialized usage of the preposition in context, M. the broader definition.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Post by Asterisk1234 »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:25 pm Both are correct.

A. WITH GEN., πρός refers to that from which something comes:

[...]

III. of dependence or close connexion: hence,
1. dependent on one, under one’s protection, π. Διός εἰσι ξεῖνοί τε πτωχοί τε Od.6.207, 14.57; δικασπόλοι, οἵ τε θέμιστας π. Διὸς εἰρύαται by commission from him, Il.1.239; π. ἄλλης ἱστὸν ὑφαίνοις at the bidding of another, 6.456.

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 1497). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

JACT is giving one specialized usage of the preposition in context, M. the broader definition.
Thank you. I guess that's why ancient Greek is so easy. :)

BTW, could you translate for me the sentences below your signature. Although I recognize some words, I can't understand them'. Thanks.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Asterisk1234 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:07 am

BTW, could you translate for me the sentences below your signature. Although I recognize some words, I can't understand them'. Thanks.
It's from two different sources, Epictetus and the NT, and I thought combining them amusing (at least to me). "You do your thing and I do mine. Take yours and go."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Post by Asterisk1234 »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

It's from two different sources, Epictetus and the NT, and I thought combining them amusing (at least to me). "You do your thing and I do mine. Take yours and go."
Thanks. I almost had the first one, except for the word "thing", which I always forget to add after a neuter article not followed by a noun. As for the other one, I tried to get the meaning of "αρον" in Logeion, and I got "Cuckoo-pint, Arum italicum", so I gave up right there! :lol: And BTW, what part of the NT contains that sentence?
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Asterisk1234 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Thanks. I almost had the first one, except for the word "thing", which I always forget to add after a neuter article not followed by a noun. As for the other one, I tried to get the meaning of "αρον" in Logeion, and I got "Cuckoo-pint, Arum italicum", so I gave up right there! :lol: And BTW, what part of the NT contains that sentence?
It's the second person aorist active imperative from αἴρω. That would be Matt 20:14.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Post by Asterisk1234 »

Thank you, Barry.

I enjoyed our conversation and I learned something.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

If it may add to this question, Dr. Mastronarde in his Introduction to Attic Greek defines πρός + acc. as meaning: "to, toward; against; in respect to, regarding" -- p. 72.

The New Testament sometimes translates προς as "with." Would that work in Attic Greek, or did it expand its meaning in κοινή Greek?
Λουκᾶς

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

If I might offer some advice. Dont be tempted to overcomplicate things. If you want to complicate things please post the Greek you are referring to rather than someone's English translation. I am no expert on NT but here are some relevant quotes from LSJ.

The entry in LSJ for πρός is very long but you will find in the entry

C WITH ACCUS., it expresses motion or direction towards an object: .......

6 of various kinds of intercourse or reciprocal action, π . . . Διομήδεα τεύχεʼ ἄμειβεν changed arms with Diomedes, Il. 6.235; ὅσα . . ξυμβόλαια . . ἦν τοῖς ἰδιώταις π. τοὺς ἰδιώτας ἢ ἰδιώτῃ π. τὸ κοινόν IG 12.116.19; σπονδάς, συνθήκας ποιεῖσθαι π. τινά, Th. 4.15, Plb. 1.17.6; ξυγχωρεῖν π. τινάς Th. 2.59; γίγνεται ὁμολογία π. τινάς Id. 7.82, cf. Hdt. 1.61; π. τινὰς ξυμμαχίαν ποιεῖς θαι Th. 5.22; π. ἀλλήλους ἡσυχίαν εἶχον καὶ π. τοὺς ἄλλους . . εἰρήνην ἦγον Isoc. 7.51; π. ἀλλήλους ἔχθραι τε καὶ στέργηθρα A. Pr. 491; also σαίνειν ποτὶ πάντας Pi. P. 2.82, cf. O. 4.6; παίζειν πρός τινας E. HF 952, etc.; ἀφροδισιάζειν π. τινά X. Mem. 1.3.14; ἀγαθὸς γίγνεσθαι π. τινά Th. 1.86; εὐσεβὴς π. τινὰς πέλειν A. Supp. 340; διαλέγεσθαι π. τινά converse with . ., X. Mem. 1.6.1, Aeschin. 2.38,40, 3.219; κοινοῦσθαι π. τινάς Pl. Lg. 930c; π. τοὺς οἰκέτας ἀνακοινοῦσθαι περὶ τῶν μεγίστων Thphr. Char. 4.2; διαλογίζεσθαι π. τινά balance accounts with . ., D. 52.3, cf. SIG 241.127 (Delph., iv B. C.); ἃ ἔχει διελόμενος π. τὸν ἀδελφόν IG 12(7).55.8 (Amorgos, iv/iii B. C.), cf. D. 47.34.

So it depends what work the English word "with" is being asked to do. I dont think πρός would ever mean "with" in the sense of "he went with someone". Underlying all the meanings of πρός plus the acc is is the idea of "direction".

πρός with dative does express the idea of nearness which could I guess be translated as "with" in certain situations. Where the Greek might say literally he was hardby his friend one might write he was with his friend.

B WITH DAT., it expresses proximity, hard by, near, at, ποτὶ γαίῃ Od. 8.190, 11.423; ποτὶ γούνασι Il. 5.408; ποτὶ δρυσίν among the oaks, 14.398 (nisi leg. περί) ; πρὸς ἄκμονι χαλκεύειν Pi. P. 1.86; ποτὶ γραμμᾷ στᾶσαί τινα ib.9.118; ἄγκυραν ποτὶ ναΐ κρημνάντων ib.4.24; δῆσαί τινα πρὸς φάραγγι A. Pr. 15; νεὼς καμούσης ποντίῳ π. κύματι Id. Th. 210; π. μέσῃ ἀγορᾷ S. Tr. 371; π. Ἀργείων στρατῷ Id. Aj. 95; π. πέδῳ κεῖται Id. OT 180 (lyr.); θακεῖν π. ναοῖς ib.20, cf. A. Eu. 855; π. ἡλίου ναίουσι πηγαῖς Id. Pr. 808; π. τῇ γῇ ναυμαχεῖν Th. 7.34; ἐς μάχην καθίστασθαι π. (v.l. ὑπʼ) αὐτῇ τῇ πόλει Id. 2.79; τεῖχος π. τῇ θαλάσσῃ Id. 3.105; αἱ π. θαλάττῃ πόλεις X. HG 4.8.1; τὸ π. Αἰγίνῃ στράτευμα off Aegina, Th. 1.105; Λίβυες οἱ π. Αἰγύπτῳ bordering on . ., ib.104; τὸ π. ποσί that which is close to the feet, before one, S. OT 130, etc.; θρηνεῖν ἐπῳδὰς π . . . πήματι over it, Id. Aj. 582; αἱ π. τῇ βάσει γωνίαι the angles at the base, Euc. 1.5,al.; τὴν π. τῷ . . ιερῷ κρήνην IG 22.338.13, cf. SIG 1040.15 (Piraeus, iv B. C.), al.

Buy yet again I dont think this can be extended to be an equivalent of say σύν.

There is enough in M. to keep you busy without worrying too much about extending the meanings of prepositions. Although I would not want to curb your curiosity.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I have just read this entry in LSJ

2 with Verbs implying previous motion, upon, against, π. τεῖχος, π. κίονα ἐρείσας, Il. 22.112, Od. 8.66; ἅρματα . . ἔκλιναν π. ἐνώπια Il. 8.435; ἔγχος ἔστησε π. κίονα Od. 1.127; ποτὶ τοῖχον ἀρηρότες 2.342; ποτὶ βωμὸν ἵζεσθαι 22.334; πρὸς γοῦνα καθέζετό τινος 18.395; π. ἄλλοτʼ ἄλλον πημονὴ προσιζάνει A. Pr. 278; τὰ πολλὰ πατρὸς π. τάφον κτερίσματα S. El. 931; χῶρον π. αὐτὸν τόνδʼ dub. in Id. Ph. 23; later, ἔστη π. τὸν στῦλον LXX 4 Ki. 23.3; ὁ ὄχλος π. τὴν θάλασσαν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἦσαν Ev.Marc. 4.1; π. ὑμᾶς παραμενῶ with you, 1 Ep.Cor. 16.6; ἐκήδευσαν τὸν . . πατέρα . . π. τοὺς λοιποὺς συγγενεῖς beside, Supp.Epigr. 6.106 (Cotiaeum).

"But with you it may be that I will stay" (rainbow missions trans.). But πρός still retains the idea of movement.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

It seems to retain the idea of orientation of previous movement rather than movement in that section. And even that lightly. The later examples don't seem to indicate it at all.
rainbow missions trans.
Hah. That section is just the World English Bible, which is a light revision of ASV. I would imagine that the Rainbow people updated certain parts though?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Lukas wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:02 am If it may add to this question, Dr. Mastronarde in his Introduction to Attic Greek defines πρός + acc. as meaning: "to, toward; against; in respect to, regarding" -- p. 72.

The New Testament sometimes translates προς as "with." Would that work in Attic Greek, or did it expand its meaning in κοινή Greek?
A somewhat common usage in the NT with intransitive verbs, and there is no motion necessarily implied in such contexts. Prepositions in Koine often do things that are somewhat unexpected if you are well versed in Attic.
ⓖ by, at, near πρός τινα εἶναι be (in company) with someone Mt 13:56; Mk 6:3; 9:19a; 14:49; Lk 9:41; J 1:1f; 1 Th 3:4; 2 Th 2:5; 3:10; 1J 1:2. διαμένειν Ac 10:48 D; Gal 2:5b. ἐπιμένειν 1:18; 1 Cor 16:7. παραμένειν 16:6 (v.l. κατα-). μένειν Ac 18:3 D. παρεῖναι 12:20; 2 Cor 11:9; Gal 4:18, 20; cp. παρουσία πρὸς ὑμᾶς Phil 1:26. παρεπιδημεῖν 1 Cl 1:2. ἐποίησεν τρεῖς μῆνας πρὸς τὴν Ἐλισάβεδ GJs 12:3. πρὸς σὲ ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα Mt 26:18b. Cp. also 2 Cor 1:12; 7:12; 12:21; 2 Th 3:1; Phlm 13; 1J 2:1; Hm 11:9b v.l.—πρὸς ἑαυτούς among or to themselves Mk 9:10 (in case πρὸς ἑ. belongs w. τὸν λόγον ἐκράτησαν; B-D-F §239, 1). πρὸς ἑαυτὸν προσηύχετο he uttered a prayer to himself Lk 18:11. Cp. 24:12.—δεδεμένον πρὸς θύραν tied at a door Mk 11:4. τὴν πᾶσαν σάρκα ἀνθρώπων πρὸς ἡδονὴν ἐδέσμευεν (Satan) bound all humankind to self-gratification AcPlCor 2:11. πρὸς τ. θάλασσαν by the seaside Mk 4:1b. On πρὸς τὸ φῶς at the fire Mk 14:54; Lk 22:56 s. B-D-F §239, 3; Rob. 625 (perh. w. the idea of turning toward the fire; s. also 4 Km 23:3). πρὸς ἓν τῶν ὀρέων at one of the mountains 1 Cl 10:7. τὰ πρὸς τὴν θύραν the place near the door Mk 2:2. πρὸς γράμμα letter by letter Hv 2, 1, 4.—On πρός τι terms s. PWouters, The Treatment of Relational Nouns in Ancient Grammar: Orbis 38, ’95, 149–78 (lit.). M-M. EDNT. TW. Sv.
Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., p. 875). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Jerome in most instances translates with apud.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter