learning koine greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
little flower
Textkit Member

learning koine greek

Post by little flower »

hi textkit greek forum
I am a long time latin learner and textkit member. I am wondering if there is an easy way to learn biblical (koine) greek?i saw a website run by the academy of classical greek saying that they use the method of immersion to help the learning process, similar to what young children do with learning their native language.
I haven't made much progress with my latin studies despite about 14 years of near full time effort. im wondering that if I could learn some basic greek maybe it would help my latin studies but im a bit apprehensive about learning conversation greek without learning grammer.
any advise would be greatly appreciated.
thanks little flower.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: learning koine greek

Post by jeidsath »

littleflower wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:13 pmI haven't made much progress with my latin studies despite about 14 years of near full time effort.
What has this effort consisted of?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

hi jeidsath
my efforts included lingua Latina volume 1, mostly on my own but I began with an American tutor. also wheelock latin mainly 7th edition again some with tuition. many years of looking at latin (online)by anna andresian. some of the book latin with perpetual exercises (or some name like that) an old book (circa 1858)by George adler recorded on the website latinum by evan milner (of London, uk)
I have posted many times with questions (100+)on textkit since I joined about 2005, but they are no longer available. finally I have dabbled in the summa theologica of st Thomas Aquinas and the latin twitter site of the Vatican mainly with one of my three tutors.
I tried the paedia (of new York I think) but they wanted me to talk about the nicean creed on a live session with other learners which as a beginner was over my head.
there are many other books and websites too numerous to mention but all in all I have put in thousands of hours work, but not really any consistent conversation practise.
thanks
little flower

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

littleflower wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 pmI have posted many times with questions (100+)on textkit since I joined about 2005, but they are no longer available.
I'll withhold an answer on the rest, but I imagine that "little flower" is also your account, as well as "littleflower". The posts are still available under that name. I can unify the two accounts if you'd like:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6119
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

thanks jeidsath
I would like to join the two accounts.
littleflower.

markcmueller
Textkit Member

Post by markcmueller »

If you don't know any Romance languages, that would be a good place to start -- either Spanish or Italian. Not only are they easier than Latin or Greek, but there are all sorts of courses and tools for learning. Learning a modern language first will help in learning more difficult ancient languages.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I haven't made much progress with my latin studies despite about 14 years of near full time effort. im wondering that if I could learn some basic greek maybe it would help my latin studies but im a bit apprehensive about learning conversation greek without learning grammer.
Something must be seriously wrong with your approach if after 14 years of full time study you feel you haven't made much progress. You must have been really let down by your teachers.

Learning Ancient Greek or any other language is not going to help. You need to isolate what exactly is holding you back. Is is a matter of vocabulary or of understanding and recognising constructions or is it learning the declensions and conjugations? If you are concerned about your ability to speak Latin you will have to get advice from others on this forum as that's not something that interests me and so I have no experience of it. Without a firm understanding of grammar and morphology you won't make any progress at all.

If you were more comfortable with latin then you would find that an aid to learning Ancient Greek. But before contemplating anymore study you need to think specifically about what's been going wrong. If you post a bit more about your difficulties we can do our best to help.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.