M&F for post-Wheelock's

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
whalenburns
Textkit Neophyte

M&F for post-Wheelock's

Post by whalenburns »

I took Latin in grades 7-12 and was very good at it. A few days from now, I will be finishing Wheelock's for the third time (once for school, once for myself, and now again for myself in hopes of pursuing a degree in Classics or Latin). M&F is currently en route to my house from amazon.com. What can I expect from M&F? How much has not been covered by Wheelock's that will be covered, and to what extent? And, as someone with a preexisting background in Latin who has completed Wheelock's with relative ease, what kind of time frame and and difficulty of study should I expect?

lauragibbs
Textkit Member

Re: M&F for post-Wheelock's

Post by lauragibbs »

I've taught a one-semester intensive course with M&F for grad students who needed Latin in a hurry (the book was originally developed way back when as the textbook used at the 10-week summer intensive Latin taught at UC Berkeley). It's a very systematic book but INCREDIBLY boring, so make sure you get yourself something fun to read on the side. As a systematic review of Latin morphology and syntax it is excellent, plus it has this huge advantage over Wheelock: it presents the subjunctive very early, as it should be. Many people seem to finish Wheelock with a very hesitant understanding of the subjunctive. M&F introduces the subjunctive early, which makes sense because the subjunctive is vital to Latin. So, it's a very good antidote to Wheelock in that regard.

For some reading, you might browse around the free readers available at GoogleBooks to see if any of the old 19th-century Latin readers suits your study style and personal interests; I'm keeping a running list of Latin Readers that I find at GoogleBooks here - at an early stage of Latin, vocabulary is often the biggest stumbling block, and most of these old readers have comprehensive Latin-English vocabularies in the back; many of them also have notes for the readings:
http://ilovegooglebooks.blogspot.com/se ... tinReaders

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

plus it has this huge advantage over Wheelock: it presents the subjunctive very early, as it should be. Many people seem to finish Wheelock with a very hesitant understanding of the subjunctive. M&F introduces the subjunctive early, which makes sense because the subjunctive is vital to Latin.
Well, everything Wheelock introduces before the subjunctive is vital to Latin too... :P
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Jeremy123
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jeremy123 »

Hi Laura,

I have been looking through your blog. What a great resource! Thanks for taking the time to link all of those texts. Is there a particular reader that you think might be particularly enjoyable to go along with MF? I'm about half way through.

Thanks!