M&F Unit 13 English to Latin

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

M&F Unit 13 English to Latin

Post by bingley »

Could someone check these English to Latin translations, please. The topics for this unit are:
 Indefinite pronouns
 Verbs taking the dative
 Impersonal passives
 Fio

1. Will anyone pardon him? He will not be pardoned by anyone.
Aliquisne eum ignoscet? Ab aliquo non ignoscetur.

2. I don't prefer anyone to her. She is a great aid to me.
Quamquem ei non praefero. Nam ea auxilium mihi magnum est.

3. What was happening yesterday on land and sea?
In terris et mari quid heri fiebat?

4. He said that he would please each man whom he had praised.
Dixit se cuique a se laudato placiturum.

5. If anyone should shout that there is danger here, there would be a great running in the streets; the consul would put the legate in command of the people in order that the ruler may be obeyed.
Si quis hic periculum adesse clamet in viis magnopere curritur; consul legatum populo praeponet ut imperatori pareatur.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: M&F Unit 13 English to Latin

Post by Skylax »

Indefinite pronouns are quite difficult to use.
bingley wrote:Could someone check these English to Latin translations, please. The topics for this unit are:
 Indefinite pronouns
 Verbs taking the dative
 Impersonal passives
 Fio

1. Will anyone pardon him? He will not be pardoned by anyone.
My translation :
Num quis ignoscet ei? A nullo ignoscetur ei (Ei non ignoscetur a quoquam).

ALIQUISNE is very, very seldom used. We find more often QUISQUAMNE (because a question is a form of negative sentence), but the more common phrase is NUM QUIS. EI NON IGNOSCETUR A QUOQUAM would be sort of distorted Latin. IGNOSCET EI NEMO would have been the simplest way to say it.
2. I don't prefer anyone to her. She is a great aid to me.
Neminem ei praefero. Nam ea auxilio/usui mihi magno est.
not... anyone : NEMO. Latin tends to say "I prefer none". MIHI USUI : double dative (the trick).

3. What was happening yesterday on land and sea?
In terris et mari quid heri fiebat?
OK
"on land and sea" : TERRA MARIQUE?
Wow!

5. If anyone should shout that there is danger here, there would be a great running in the streets; the consul would put the legate in command of the people in order that the ruler may be obeyed.
Si quis hic periculum adesse clamet in viis magnopere currAtur; consul legatum populo praeponAt ut imperatori pareatur.

In case of condition contrary to fact :
CLAMARET... CURRERETUR... PRAEPONERET... PARERETUR

Now, the more complicated ideas are , the more numerous possible translations are (I mean : "plus les idées sont compliquées, plus les traductions possibles sont nombreuses").

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Hmm. I obviously haven't quite got the hang of these pronouns yet. Can you recommend a good online explanation with plenty of examples, or is it just one of those things you have to pick up from exposure to the language?

"on land and sea" : TERRA MARIQUE?

I thought to use -que, the second element had to have more syllables.

Si quis hic periculum adesse clamet in viis magnopere currAtur; consul legatum populo praeponAt ut imperatori pareatur.

Aaaaagh. I actually had the present subjunctive written down, and then typed it as the indicative.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

bingley wrote:Hmm. I obviously haven't quite got the hang of these pronouns yet. Can you recommend a good online explanation with plenty of examples, or is it just one of those things you have to pick up from exposure to the language?
You could maybe have a look at Lewis' Dictionary (Perseus)?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I agree, indefinite pronouns are the worst. Throw all the irregularities and inflections you want at me... but please nothing with QUI :cry:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yay I've just done fio. Although it's a bit strange that it lacks some forms...is there any other verb for "become"

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

That is excellent!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

What does the English mean?! :?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I assume it means something like:

All those guys he'd praised? He said he was going to be really nice to them on an individual basis. :wink: