2 OOP Greek Textbooks (Fobes, Ruck)

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
marxbert
Textkit Neophyte

2 OOP Greek Textbooks (Fobes, Ruck)

Post by marxbert »

Thought it would be permissible to share a couple long out-of-print (OOP) Greek textbooks. The first, Francis Fobes' Philosophical Greek is my own scan, while I found a PDF of Ruck's Ancient Greek: A New Approach, 2nd Edition. I do not think either will be republished--for what I can tell, neither have been published in the last 40 years. However, if they need to be removed for the site, my apologies for an inappropriate post.

Francis Fobes - Philosophical Greek
The first, Fobes, I have used extensively as a way to either reinforce or give a preliminary introduction to morphology and syntax that was more fully explained in a more thorough textbook (such as Mastronarde or Hansen and Quinn). The introduction of material is fairly straightforward, and more or less can be read alongside the standard contemporary texts. Its vocabulary, as well, does not stretch that far from these texts. The entire book may be appropriate for students with someone to guide them through it, but a little over halfway through the text, the reading material is no longer properly explained for the average autodidact. At page 135 of 200, the reading begins to consist of 1 column of Aristotle paired with a column of literal translation. By the end of the textbook, Fobes is giving 4 pages of Charmides with minimal reading notes. As comparison--135 pages into H&Q, you'll find aphorisms of Menander and, at 200, a handful of lines from Sophocles with notes that are lengthier than the passage. Still, I think this book has its uses, esp. as a potential refresher text. I will say, there are plenty of readings that may be difficult, but are rewarding after more progress has been made in the more thorough textbooks.

Carl A.P. Ruck - Ancient Greek: A New Method, 2nd Edition
I made this post because I read a review of it on this site. The feedback on Amazon is also largely laudatory. However, by just skimming through it this evening, I could not imagine this book being right for me. Like Fobes, it is short--about 200 pages of lessons. But the way the material is introduced is certainly "a new method." No way that this introduction of morphology would assist me, especially if trying to couple this textbook with a more thorough text. Because of how things are introduced in a different manner, it may be worth going through for people (like me) that sadly neglected my Greek.
But, with my additional time I have to spend at home, I'm thinking the Fobes would still be a better use as a refresher for most people.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: 2 OOP Greek Textbooks (Fobes, Ruck)

Post by jeidsath »

I removed the links. It's not a big deal, but there are plenty of other places to share scans of books still in copyright.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

marxbert
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marxbert »

no problem.
The Ruck can actually be found legally through the Open Library --but the PDF comes with a DRM that only allows one to check it out for two weeks. Perhaps you can print it during this period, I'm not sure. But interested parties can at least skim the book for those interested in the approach.
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL2562458 ... w_approach
I encourage people to return the book once they are done with it. Otherwise it will be unavailable to others until the two week check out expires.

marxbert
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marxbert »

I am not sure if more of these digitized books are being made available because of COVID-19, but Thrasymachus: A New Greek Course is now available through Open Library (www.openlibrary.org). I know this wasn't available a few years ago when I was a was searching for textbooks to work through.
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL26572939M/Thrasymachus