κραυγή - κλαγγή

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

κραυγή - κλαγγή

Post by jaihare »

Is there a difference between these two words? The Homeric textbook used κλαγγή but FGB is starting us out with κραυγή for apparently the same meaning. Is it basically the same?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: κραυγή - κλαγγή

Post by modus.irrealis »

My feeling (for what it's worth) is that κραυγή is just your regular shout, while κλαγγή is more like a shriek but has a broader application to sounds and refers to thinks like the screams of birds or the clash of metal against metal. It might be helpful to look at the entries in L&S, together with related words like κλάζω.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Thanks a lot. I'll look it up tonight. Don't know why I didn't do that first!

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

Yes... You'll find that in Greek, as in most languages, there are lot of words and expressions that are roughly synonymous. The difference is often that one is more poetic, while the other is more ordinary and prosaic. A good dictionary like LSJ will point things like this out; you will also start to develop a sense of it as you read more, and see the contexts in which each word is used. (The same goes for the question on your other post, about ἐν τοῖς ἀγροῖς vs. ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ.)
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?