JWW exercises, para 366, 368, 375, 377, 383, 385

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, para 366, 368, 375, 377, 383, 385

Post by Koala »

encore des suggestions...

1 if he should do these things/this, we would withdraw
2 if we should/were-to provide/supply a market-place, you would have both food and wine
3 if we should win, he would not plunder the country
4 he would have worthy friends, if they should have the weapons
5 if I should lead them back to Greece again, they would justly give thanks
6 if it should seem best to/for the footmen to collect supplies/forage, what would you do?
7 if they should close the gates, you would surround them both by land and sea
8 if the river should prove not to be fordable on foot, they would bring boats together
9 if he should send them a reward, he would have just and brave allies.

They were crossing the river on foot ? for they did not have boats. Never had this river been passable on foot except (if not) at this time, but by boats (alone/only). Indeed it seemed to be a portent to all the generals and soldiers. From there he marches on through Syria, nine stages, fifty parasangs ? and they arrive at the river Araxes. There were villages there stored with grain and wine. They remained there three days and provisioned up.

1 the ruler sent a guide to the Greeks, that he might lead them through the hostile country
2 he assisted this man, that he might have him as a friend
3 who is exercising/taking care, that the soldiers might/will receive their (the) reward?
4 he was taking care of the barbarians, that they might be both sufficient/capable to make war, and (be) well disposed to him
5 they were seeking the rulers, that they might plan with/advise them
6 Menon was plotting against Clearchus, so that he might be a friend to the satrap
7 you would be friends worthy of honour, if you would/were-to provide arms for the army
8 Cyrus will exercise care, that the soldiers will be grateful to him/give him thanks
9 and with them I would be valued ? but if I was deprived of them, I would not be sufficient/capable to assist my friends

From there he marches out through Arabia ? having the river Euphrates on (his) right ? (for) five uninhabited/desolate stages, 35 parasangs. In this place the ground was a plain, all flat/(one level plain) like the sea. All sorts of wild animals were in (it/there), wild asses and ostriches (Arabian sparrows?!); there were also bustards and gazelles. The soldiers sometimes pursued these creatures from horseback ? and the asses were difficult to catch, since/for they ran faster than the horses.

1 he feared that the foe might be honoured
2 if the Greeks should approach, the enemy would be frightened
3 we made Xenophon our ruler that we might be saved
4 Cyrus would be kind to the Greeks, if they should vote to accompany/march-with (him)
5 if we were not to have/should not have arms, we would be deprived of our bodies/lives also
6 if we should be hard pressed by the enemy, we would proceed in a circle
7 the soldiers feared that they would be left behind
8 if we should win, we would both be saved and have provisions
9 but yet the general was afraid that he would be encircled on both sides
10 I was calling the men inside so that I could plan with them what was (is) right/just before both gods and men

For the asses, when the soldiers were pursuing them, used-to-run ahead; and again, when the horses used-to-approach, they also did this, and it was not possible to take them unless the soldiers posted themselves at intervals. Nobody caught/took ostriches. For they use their wings as a sail, and those (who) pursue (them) quickly desist/give-up. If some one quick(ly) pursues the bustards, it is possible to catch (?em) ? for they fly a short distance and give up quickly.

best wishes
Last edited by Koala on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

ok

« began-to-cross » Unlike Smyth and JWW, I don’t believe too much in the inchoative imperfect. Here, it is more like if the author said « Imagine a picture depicting them as the were crossing the river. See this impressing sight. »

2. ὠφέλει is an imperfect (<ὠφέλε‐ε – the present is ὠφελεῖ &λτ; ὠφελέ‐εἰ, thus « assisted », and yes : it is « have him as a friend ».

ok

« ostriches », yes. In Greek, στρουθός means both « sparrow » and « ostrich ». Xenophon writes eventually στρουθοὶ αἱ μεγάλαι, « big model sparrows » (= ostriches).
« dangerous » : « difficult » (« it was difficult to catch the asses… »)

5 « persons » : I agree if it means « we would be deprived of our own bodies », i. e. we would be killed.

ok