JWW exercises, para 519, 520, 521, 528, 529, 530

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, para 519, 520, 521, 528, 529, 530

Post by Koala »

Thank you++ Skylax for your last comments and corrections.
Herewith some further answer suggestions..

1 ask (the) guide, who will lead you back
2 he was marching on through Phrygia one day?s journey to an inhabited, pleasant and large city
3 they had cattle which they sacrificed to Zeus the preserver
4 if I shall accomplish (the objects) for which I am taking the field, I will lead you back home
5 after this, O Orontas, is there any wrong that I have done you?
6 at the command of Cyrus, Aristippus sent away the army that he had
7 from there they march on, Cyrus being commander, three days? journey to the river Euphrates, whose width was four stadia
8 during the third day?s journey, Cyrus makes a review in the plain about the middle of the night, with no one hindering

[size=150] α. καὶ ἔπεμψε ἱππεῖς μετ 0 αὐτῆς οὕς εἶχε Μένων β. ὅστις ὑμῶν τοῦτ 0 ἔπραξεν, ἄδικος ἦν. γ. ὁ Κῦρος πρὸς αὐτὸν ἔπεμψε δῶρα ἅ τίμια νομίζεται παρὰ βασιλεῖ δ. Ὀρόντου τοῦτ 0 ὁμολογοῦντος, Κῦρον λέγει τάδε ε. ἐκεῖ ἦν τῷ Κύρῳ παράδεισος μέγας πλήρης θηρίων ἅ ἐθήρευεν ἀφ 0 ἵππου [/size]

?Therefore?, said Cyrus, ?because of what wrong/injury from me, do you plan against me the third (time)?? When Orontas said/confessed that he had plotted (lit:plots), although he had suffered no wrong, Cyrus answered him ?Do you therefore agree that you have done me wrong??; ?I agree?, said Orontas, ?for (it is) necessarily (so)?. After this Cyrus again asks, ?Could you therefore still(?again) be an enemy of my brother, and a faithful friend to me?? He answers ?Even if I were, O Cyrus, to you at any rate I would never again appear good?

1. if Cyrus (ever) promised something to anyone, he would never default
2. if at any time any/one of the peltasts stole, he was (always) punished
3. there was a relief for his feet, if anyone could loosen his sandals during the night
4. the gods are capable to easily save the small, even if they are in danger(s)
5. he would not have done these things, if I had not ordered/urged/advised him
6. if any one (ever) does him good or evil, he always endeavours to be-superior/outdo-him
7. for the king would not strike me, if I should be unjust to his friends
8. men, if you (will) obey me, you will put this man out of the way (?you will have this man put out of the way)
9. if you wish(ed) to set out, I am willing to follow
10. if any one, of those drawn up to do this work, (ever) appeared to him to work slowly, he beat the (one who) deserved it.

I?m assuming 2 & 4 are past, and 1, 3, 5 are present general suppositions
[size=150] α. ἀεὶ χαλεπαίνει, ἐάν τις ψεύδηται αὐτόν β. εἰ πράγματα παρέχοιεν, αὐτοὺς ἐκολάζομεν γ. ἐὰν τινι ὑπισχνῆται τι, οὔποτε ψεύδεται αὐτόν δ. τοὺς στρατιώτας ἐπαίεν, εἰ μὴ πείθοιντο ε. παρὰ ἐμὲ οὔποτε ἤρχετο, ἐάν μὴ μεταπέμπηται [/size]
Q: does [size=150] μεταπέμπομαι[/size]
mean both ?to send for? and ?to be sent for??

Thereupon Cyrus said to those present, ?This man has done these things, and says these things ? from your (side), you first, O Clearchus, tell how it appears to you/give us your opinion?. Clearchus said as follows: ?I-plan/my-plan-is to put this man out of the way, so it will no longer be necessary to guard him, but there be a break for us to do good to our friends?. The other things he said to tell the others also.
[face=Arial][/face]

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

1. It could be « Ask for a guide… »

β. ἠδίκησεν I would say
d. Xenophon uses a genivite )ορόντα (see 521) -- κῦρος :)

« still » or « again » : for me, it is the same…
« good » ? Should it not be « so » ? (i.e. enemy etc. and faithful etc.)

7. « strike » Yes, if it means « commend, compliment »
8. « you will put » I think
9. The sentence applies only to the present situation, so « you wish » (right now) ?

a. Middle voice is possible, but rather ψεύδῃ active, the middle voice meaning generally « to lie »
g. Note the accents : ἐάν τινι ὑπισχνῆταί τι - rather ψεύδει active
δ. ἔπαιεν typo
ε. εἰ μὴ μεταπέμποιτο because of the imperfect in the main clause (I don’t think it could be a present general supposition)

A to Q : yes, it does (in the passive voice, it is the passive of μεταπέμπω, same meaning)

« I plan » : I would say « I advise (you) … »

« so it will no longer be necessary to guard him » : « so we will no longer have to be on our guard against him »

« but there be a break for us to do good to our friends » : « but we will have time to do good to our friend »

I think the meaning is « so we will no longer have to waste time trying to protect ourselves against him, and consequently we will spare time and be able to use this time doing good to our friends »

(in French : « pour que nous ne devions plus nous défier de lui mais que nous ayons le loisir de faire le bien à nos amis »)

« The other things he said to tell the others also. » : Is it the same as « He said that the others also said this » (= he said that the others agreed with him) ?

χαῖρε