JWW exercises, paragraphs 639, 640, 641

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, paragraphs 639, 640, 641

Post by Koala »

more trial answers....

1. We have thrown the other things into the fire.
2. Therefore, let thanks be (given) to the gods, for the enemy have not harmed us
3. They supposed the snow had thawed; and it had thawed on account of a spring that was in a nearby ravine
4. They said that Cyrus might have killed off the King
5. He said they had left the place in flight
6. For he perceived the enemy had already taken the heights (already having taken the heights)
7. They have sent me men, who are faithful to Cyrus and well-disposed towards you
8. He has passed many days in the enemy country
9. Without the knowledge of the soldiers, he had sent a messenger to Cyrus
10. He drew up his foot soldiers on the heights/banks above the cavalry
11. Cyrus has neither sent another to indicate, nor has he himself shown, what needs to be done
12. He had entrusted this country to the Greeks to plunder, except for the captives

[size=150]α. οἱ πολέμιοι οὐκ ἀποπεφεύγασιν β. πολλὰ δῶρα πέπομφε τῷ Μένωνι γ. ἀλλ 0 ὁ σατράπης ἐπιστολὴν ἐγεγράφει βασιλεῖ δ. ἔφη ἡγεμόνα πεπομφέναι τῷ στρατεύματι ε. ἀγγέλλει ὅτι ὁ ἡγεμὼν τὸ ἀγύριον κέκλοφεν[/size]

From here Cyrus marches on, with his troops formed in line of battle, both Greeks and foreign troops;
for he thought he would fight the King this day; for about the middle of this day’s journey
he found [lit: there was] a deeply dug trench, extending up through the middle of the plain as far as the Median wall.
Alongside the river Euphrates there was a narrow pass/passage between the river and the trench –
the Great King (had) made [lit: makes] this trench opposite the wall,
since he (had) learned [lit: learns] that Cyrus was advancing/marching-on.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

When a subject is behind his verb, there is a "natural" tendency to translate it as a complement. You seem to have once or twice fallen into this trap. For my part, I remember that I could not translate a certain sentence for months for the same reason.

4. « They said that the King (nominative) had [eventually] killed off Cyrus (accusative). »
7. ἄνδρες is the subject « Men who are etc. have sent me (accusative)… »

640 – ok

βασιλέα is the subject of μαχεῖσθαι : « he thought the King would fight… »
« opposite the wall » : it seems to mean « in lieu of a wall ». The wall, so I’ve read, was an old one, it was partially ruined and the trench had been made where the wall did not exist any more.

ἐσχάτη ἀδικία δοκεῖν δίκαιον εἶναι μὴ ὄντα (Plato)