JWW exercises, paragraphs 653, 654, 656

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, paragraphs 653, 654, 656

Post by Koala »

My ongoing thanks to Skylax!

Attempted answers to Ex's in lesson LXX

1. I wonder that Cyrus has nowhere shown himself / hasn’t shown himself anywhere
2. Orders had been given to appear courageously before/to the cavalry
3. And hearing this, he became exceedingly agitated, and asked whether they had already given a decision/made an answer
4. The cavalry have been scattered
5. Most of the dispersed had been brought/collected together
6. Clearchus was leading the others away according to orders, the other were following
7. The messengers/scouts have been sent away and a certain good/brave general with them
8. They were leaving behind those of the soldiers who had their eyes blinded by the snow
9. He said the Cretans had been sent away
10. An omen concerning a rescue, from Zeus the deliverer, has been shown to us who are sacrificing

[size=150]α. πλοῖα τῷ στρατεύματι ἤδη ὑπὸ Κύρου ἀπέσταλται β. ἀλλ 0 οἱ ἱππεῖς διεσπαρμένοι εἰσίν γ. τὸ στράτευμα διέσφθαρται δ. οὐδένες ἡμῖν ἱκανοὶ ὄντες πεφασμένοι εἰσίν ε. οἱ πελτασταὶ σπέσθαι παρηγγελμένοι ἦσαν[/size]

When the King did not attempt to hinder Cyrus’ army crossing over/at the ditch,
it appeared both to Cyrus and the others that he did not intend to fight –
so on the next day Cyrus proceeded more carelessly.
On the third day he made a journey sitting on the wagon and having a few men in ranks before him;
a great confusion (of soldiers) proceeded around him,
and many of the weapons for the soldiers were led on wagons and pack-animals.

“Il n'y a rien de si dangereux pour l'État, que ceux qui veulent gouverneur les royaumes
par les maximes qu'ils tirent de leurs livres” (Richelieu) – perhaps even Greek ones, alas

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Only tiny comments. You are a master, now :D

2. « Orders had been given to the cavalry to go courageously in pursuit » : it is διώκειν, not δοκεῖν
10. I think it is « to us who are sacrificing for the sake of a rescue » (or something really English)

g. It is διέφθαρται, why a sigma ? A typo, I guess.
d. « able to help us » ἡμᾶς ὠφελεῖν ἱκανοὶ… I would not add ὄντες

655 – ok.

χαῖρε