Sidgwick's Introduction to Greek Prose Composition III

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Sidgwick's Introduction to Greek Prose Composition III

Post by jeidsath »

III. The Dog and the Lovers

νεανίας τε καὶ παρθένος ποτε ἐβούλευσαν εἰς τόπον καλῷ ἀπαντᾶν, ἐν ᾧ ἦν λίμνη τις ἐν ὄρεσι. ὁ δὲ νεανίας, ᾧ ἦν κύων μέγας καὶ πιστὸς, ἔξελθε μετὰ αὐτοῦ πρὸς τὸν εἰρημένον τόπον. καὶ τοσοῦτον προεθυμεῖτο τὴν παρθένον ὁρᾶν ὥστε πολὺ πρωϊαίτερον ἀφίκετο. ἐπειδὴ μακρὸν χρόνον μένειν δεῖ, ὄντος τοῦ ἡλίου σφόδρα θερμοῦ, ἐβούλευσε λούεσθαι. ἀποδυόμενος οὖν κελεύσας τὸν κύοντα φυλάσσειν, ἥλετο εἰς τὴν λίμην. τέλος δὲ ἅλις τὸ ὕδωρ ἡσθεὶς καὶ προσδοκᾶν τὴν παρθένον ἐγγὺς ἀφίξεσθαι, ἔξελθε ἀναδεξάμενος ἱμάτιον. ὁ δὲ κύων οὐκ ἀναγνωρίζων διὰ τὸ γυμνὸν εἶναι ἐκώλυσε αὐτὸν ἐπέρχεσθαι. ἐκεῖνος δὲ μάτην πολλάκις καλοῦν τὸν κύονα, ῥιγοῦν καὶ ἀποροῦν, τέλος τὴν παρθένον πόρρωθεν ἐρχομένην εἶδε. καὶ ἐπεὶ οὐκ ἐδύνατο γυμνὸς ἀφίκεσθαι, δεῖ εἰς τὸ ὕδωρ ἔρχεσθαι κρύπτων ἑαυτὸν λίθου ὄπισθεν. ἡ δὲ ἐπερχομένη μόνον τὸ ἱμάτιον ὁρῶσα, ὥστε οἴεσθαι αὐτὸν ἀπολωλεκότα, βαρὺ στένειν ἦρχε.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Sidgwick's Introduction to Greek Prose Composition III

Post by bedwere »

καλῷ -> καλὸν
πιστὸς, --> πιστός,
λίμην. --> λίμνην.

τέλος δὲ ἅλις τὸ ὕδωρ ἡσθεὶς καὶ προσδοκᾶν τὴν παρθένον ἐγγὺς ἀφίξεσθαι, :?: :?:

ἦρχε --> ἤρξατο

:!: Ἁμαρτωλός ἐιμι. :wink:

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

A few more simple corrections:
ἔξελθε· εξῆλθε
ἐπειδὴ· επειδη δε
δεῖ· ἔδει
ὄντος τοῦ ἡλίου· του ηλ. οντ.
ἀποδυόμενος οὖν κελεύσας· αποδυσάμενος/αποδὺς ουν και κελ.
κύοντα· κυνα
φυλάσσειν· φυλ. τα ιματια
τὸ ὕδωρ· τω υδατι
προσδοκᾶν· –δοκῶν (-ᾶν is infin.)
ἔξελθε· –ῆλθε
ἀναδεξάμενος: -ξομενος
ἱμάτιον· το ιμ.
ἀναγνωρίζων· –γνωρίσας
διὰ τὸ γυμνὸν εἶναι· δ. τ. αυτον γ. ειν.
καλοῦν· καλῶν, better καλέσας
κύονα· κυνα
ῥιγοῦν καὶ ἀποροῦν· –ῶν –ῶν (-έω>ῶ, -εο>ου)
ἐρχομένην· προσερχ.
γυμνὸς· γ. ὤν
δεῖ· εδει, αναγκη ην, ηναγκασθη
ἔρχεσθαι· επανελθεῖν, παλιν εισελθειν
ἔρχεσθαι κρύπτων· παλιν εισελθόντα(-ὼν) κρύψαι
λίθου ὄπισθεν· οπ. λιθ.
ἐπερχομένη· επελθοῦσα και
ὁρῶσα· ιδοῦσα

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

@bedwere -- I have a better mistake for you. The word that came into my head when I was first writing was ἅπτειν (instead of ἀπαντᾶν).

Thank you both for all of the corrections. I had meant to make a post with any questions I had about them, but it turns out that they all look fairly clear to me now that I see the correct versions. It's annoying that I make so many mistakes. I hope to get better through practice.

However, I did want to follow up on "ἔξ[η]λθε ἀναδεξάμενος ἱμάτιον," which mwh corrects to ἀναδεξόμενος. I'm very shaky on aorist participles versus present participles. Looking at it, does my version mean "he got out after picking up his garment"?

Should I only use an aorist participle to indicate an action that occurs before the main verb? Are there any other times to use it?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Aorist participles, like indicatives (but unlike subj./opt. or infin.), do normally mark time rather than aspect. Present participles are used only in cases of simultaneous action. E.g. your δεῖ εἰς τὸ ὕδωρ ἔρχεσθαι κρύπτων (this should be κρύπτοντα: δεῖ is impersonal) ἑαυτὸν λίθου ὄπισθεν means “he has to go into the water while in the process of concealing himself behind a stone.” You use pres.pples. too often. It pays to pay attention to the tense of participles in your reading.

So yes, εξ[η]λθε ἀναδεξάμενος ἱμάτιον means "he got out after picking up a garment." The easiest way of amending this is to use future participle αναδεξόμενος (or ὡς αναδεξόμενος), “with the intention of picking up.” Pres.pple. αναδεχόμενος would mean “while picking up.”