Mastronarde's 2nd Ed

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
FauxKneeBologna
Textkit Neophyte

Mastronarde's 2nd Ed

Post by FauxKneeBologna »

Hello,

It looks like we're going to be doing a study group using Mastronarde's second edition. If you're interested in joining us, feel free to post here. My browser doesn't allow me to read random parts of Greek, but the others should be able to follow in it.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Mastronarde's 2nd Ed

Post by swtwentyman »

PM me or ailuros if you're interested in this (I guess FauxKneeBologna, too). I have the first edition but it should be fine.

As for myself, I'm a bit discouraged after the brutal closing sections to book 1, chapter 9 of the Anabasis (well, brutal for me) and I've found some problem areas and room for improvement, and hopefully a review of the basics should do me some good as I'm reading book 2 and beyond concurrently. I'm taking a week away from classics: my head needs it. Anyway, the more members to this group the better, so it won't collapse if one or two pull out.

(There were hard sections in Caesar, too, and I found I quickly got my confidence back once I got to easier parts. I was thinking that Xenophon was turning out to be much tougher than Caesar but comparing the troubles I had with the two I think Xenophon is actually easier overall so far, but the hard parts are harder. The Anabasis has done me some good so far: I've consolidated a lot of my learning and I now have some proficiency with indirect reflexives and relative clauses with conditional force, two things that were beyond me while I was going through Mastronarde)

jhanschoo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jhanschoo »

Hi, I'm at Unit 16 of Mastronarde, and would benefit from a study group. :D

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

hello jhanschoo,

sorry. i've been trying to pm you but for some reason i can't seem to get the pm to actually send. have you by any chance received a pm on your end? i've tried a bunch of times now. let me know, and sorry the delay in responding to you.

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

me, againe.

i've managed to get the pm into my outbox, but it is just sitting there for the nonce. systems may just be a bit slow. hopefully it will come through.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman »

Messages stay in your outbox until they're read (until that time they may be edited).

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

thanks, sir! did not know that, and am now glad that i do.