Sidgwick First Greek Writer XXXV

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Sidgwick First Greek Writer XXXV

Post by jeidsath »

Vocabulary

ονομα, παντοιος, τεχνη, εγενετο, ελλογιμος, αγορα, αγοραζειν, καπηλος, ω ανθρωπε, ξενος, αργυριον, οιος, νομιζεται, στατηρ, δεικνυμι, δοκιμαζω, βασανος, τωι οντι, μανθανω

Exercise

There was once a thief by name Theros, who stealing many things by all manner of arts became very famous.

κλεπτης τις ποτε ην, το ονομα αυτωι Θερος, ος πανταις τεχναις κλεπτων σφοδρα ελλογιμος εγενετο.

For this man, once coming into the market, wished to buy a certain very precious stone, and taking the stone he said to the dealer as follows:

ουτος γαρ εις αγοραν ποτε ηκων εβουλευσα λιθον τινα τιμιωτατην αγοραζειν, και λαβων την λιθον ειπε τοιαδε:

'Sir, I am a stranger, and have come from far: and on this account I have not yet money, such as is current here.

ξενος ων, ω ανθρωπε, απο μακρας ηκω. και δια τουτο ουπω εχω αργυριον οιον ενταυθα νομιζεται.

Are you willing therefore in place of money to take these ducats?'

εθελεις ουν αντι αργυριου τουτους τους στατηρας λαβειν;

And at the same time, while-saying this he showed him a bag full of golden ducats.

αμα δ’ τουτο ειπων εκεινωι εδειξε θυλακον των χρυσων στατηρων μεστον.

And the dealer being experienced in such things, took out one of the ducats, and testing it with a touchstone, discovered it to be (being) in truth golden.

ο δε καπηλος τοιουτου εμπειρος ων ελαβε ενα των στατηρων και βασανωι δοκιμασας τωι οντι χρυσουν εμαθε τουτον.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Sidgwick First Greek Writer XXXV

Post by bedwere »

jeidsath wrote:Vocabulary

ονομα, παντοιος, τεχνη, εγενετο, ελλογιμος, αγορα, αγοραζειν, καπηλος, ω ανθρωπε, ξενος, αργυριον, οιος, νομιζεται, στατηρ, δεικνυμι, δοκιμαζω, βασανος, τωι οντι, μανθανω

Exercise

There was once a thief by name Theros, who stealing many things by all manner of arts became very famous.

κλεπτης τις ποτε ην, το ονομα αυτωι Θερος, ος πανταις τεχναις κλεπτων σφοδρα ελλογιμος εγενετο.

For this man, once coming into the market, wished to buy a certain very precious stone, and taking the stone he said to the dealer as follows:

ουτος γαρ εις αγοραν ποτε ηκων εβουλευσα λιθον τινα τιμιωτατην αγοραζειν, και λαβων την λιθον ειπε τοιαδε:

'Sir, I am a stranger, and have come from far: and on this account I have not yet money, such as is current here.

ξενος ων, ω ανθρωπε, απο μακρας ηκω. και δια τουτο ουπω εχω αργυριον οιον ενταυθα νομιζεται.

Are you willing therefore in place of money to take these ducats?'

εθελεις ουν αντι αργυριου τουτους τους στατηρας λαβειν;

And at the same time, while-saying this he showed him a bag full of golden ducats.

αμα δ’ τουτο ειπων εκεινωι εδειξε θυλακον των χρυσων στατηρων μεστον.

And the dealer being experienced in such things, took out one of the ducats, and testing it with a touchstone, discovered it to be (being) in truth golden.

ο δε καπηλος τοιουτου εμπειρος ων ελαβε ενα των στατηρων και βασανωι δοκιμασας τωι οντι χρυσουν εμαθε τουτον.
Do you agree?

PS
I should add that βούλομαι is probably the verb you meant to use.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Thank you.

εβουλευσα -- I am wrong in both the verb and person, as you point out. εβουλετο (I suppose aor. εβουληθη would also work).

λιθον -- Here I don't agree, actually. A certain precious gem, so feminine.

τουτο ειπων -- τουτο can't work for a single utterance? Then ταυτα

των χρυσων στατηρων -- should just be χρυσων στατηρων
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Yes, λίθος can be feminine.

I thought you wanted to say literally "together with this". So it would have been τούτῳ. Now I take it back.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

πανταις τεχναις κλεπτων: παντοιαις; κλέψας.

ουτος γαρ εις αγοραν ποτε ηκων: (εισ)ελθὼν better, ἥκω ok below.

αμα δ’ τουτο ειπων εκεινωι εδειξε θυλακον {των} χρυσων στατηρων μεστον:
και αμα; λεγων; εδειξεν αυτῳ (not εκεινῳ).

ο δε καπηλος τοιουτου εμπειρος ων ελαβε ενα των στατηρων και βασανωι δοκιμασας τωι οντι χρυσουν εμαθε τουτον:
τοιουτων; e.g. εξειλεν; εμαθεν αυτον τω οντι χρυσουν οντα.

I'll take questions if you have them, but not right now.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I think that I get most of the corrections. Are the ειπων vs. λεγων corrections just about tense? I'm not sure that I understand the usage differences between ελθων vs. ηκων.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

λεγων, yes, tense: he showed him the bag while he was speaking. αμα reinforces the contemporaneity.
And you want και not δε as the connective. ταυτα better than τουτο.
Tense, contrast κλεψας in first sentence (where add πολλα).

Note how you misuse εκεινῳ here and τουτον in final sentence.

ηκω is more like “I am come” (so here I am), a little grand. ελθειν and compounds much commoner and much more suitable here.

I’m too lazy to add accents etc when typing, but you shouldn’t follow my example!