GREEK VERSION OF LINGVA LATINA PER SE ILLUSTRATA

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

GREEK VERSION OF LINGVA LATINA PER SE ILLUSTRATA

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Hello,

It's been a while since I've posted here and I had nearly forgotten about this place. Could anyone tell me if there indeed is a Greek version of Lingva Latina? I'm not really sure, but I heard this floating around somewhere in the forum and online perhaps asking the same question I am but I was wondering if there was indeed a "Lingva Graeca Per Se Illustrata?" :?:

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: GREEK VERSION OF LINGVA LATINA PER SE ILLUSTRATA

Post by bedwere »

Seamus Macdonald was working on it, but he never finished it. There is
Alexandros to hellenikon paidion, but it has many annoying typos.

Hugus Berolinensis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hugus Berolinensis »

I was looking for the same and the advice I found here was to get the Italian version of the Athenaze, which has been much changed to approximate it from the Orberg method.

You can check the inside of the book on the Vivarium Novum Academy catalogue:
https://vivariumnovum.it/catalogo/athinaze-athenaze

You cannot order directly from them anymore though. I managed to get a copy shipped to Germany contacting a distributor in Italy: libri@siapinternational.it (write in Italian, they'll ignore English).
Hugus Berolinensis

SamParkinson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SamParkinson »

Seumas MacDonald has now made a lot of progress, though it isn't at a stage to be used on its own yet: https://seumasjeltzz.github.io/LinguaeG ... llustrata/.
The Italian Athenaze is great, but it is not LLPSI in Greek. It has similarities - e.g. the pictures in the margin - but you do need to know Italian to really learn from it. Even having been through another textbook, and using google translate, I found it hard going.
Alternatively, get the English Athenaze (which is excellent) and supplement with the extra readings in the Italian version. Indeed, whatever way you are learning, whatever textbook you use, the Italian version is a great extra supplement.

Hugus Berolinensis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hugus Berolinensis »

It is definitely true that the Italian Athenaze cannot be a viable option for a main textbook for someone who does not speak Italian. If you do, it really is a great companion :) I haven't had the time to delve into the project of LGPSI, but I sure intend to. I am glad to hear that the author keeps making progress with it.
Hugus Berolinensis

JimKillock
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JimKillock »

Important to note firstly that the author has a Patreon page, so if we want to encourage and help him work faster, that is how to do it! And secondly that he id doing the right thing by placing it under a CC-By-SA licence, so building upon the work is easy and legal and does not require permission.

naturalphilosopher
Textkit Neophyte

Post by naturalphilosopher »

bedwere wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:44 am Seamus Macdonald was working on it, but he never finished it. There is
Alexandros to hellenikon paidion, but it has many annoying typos.
You're too modest. I was perusing your youtube and find the you have 2 books reformatted into the Orberg style. That looks to be a quite underappreciated resource you've made available.

Which pronunciation scheme you are using? Sometimes I think I detect a pitch accent in your recordings, but my ear isn't fully trained to hear it.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Very kind of you, thanks! My pronunciation is basically the same as Christoph Rico, but I try to give a hint of the iota subscript. I also try to use some "musicality" , if not pitch. After all, I'm Italian! :D