Stesichorus 8A Finglass (S17 SLG, 185 PMG)

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Stesichorus 8A Finglass (S17 SLG, 185 PMG)

Post by jeidsath »

I just received Budelmann's "Greek Lyric," and flipping through, this seemed appropriate.
†Ἅλιος† δ᾽ Ὑπεριονίδα <ἴ>ς δέπας †ἐσκατέβαινε χρύσεον†, ὄ- φρα δι᾽ Ὠκεανοῖο περάσας ἀφίκοιθ᾽ ἱαρᾶς ποτὶ βένθεα νυκ- τὸς ἐρεμνᾶς ποτὶ ματέρα κουριδίαν τ᾽ ἄλοχον παῖδάς τε φίλους· ὁ δ᾽ ἐς ἄλσος ἔβα δάφναισι †κατάσ- κιον† ποσὶ παῖς Διός ‒ ⏑ ⏑ ‒
And Helios, the Hyperion force, was climbing into his golden bowl, until having passed through Ocean he would come to the depths of dark and holy night, to his own children and their mother, his wedded wife. But the other, the child of Zeus, went by foot into the Laurel-shaded grove.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Stesichorus 8A Finglass (S17 SLG, 185 PMG)

Post by Hylander »

Ὑπεριονίδα <ἴ>ς -- not "the force of Hyperion", but rather "the force of Hyperionidas", i.e., the Sun, who is the son of Hyperion. This is just an epic honorific formula for the name Hyperionidas, probably best translated as "Hyperionidas" tout court. Or you might try something like "Lord Hyperionides." [Edit: I see I wrote Hyperion instead of Hyperionidas, falling into the same error as you.] -δα is Doric masculine genitive; Ὑπεριονίδας would be the Doric nominative; and the Attic/Ionic forms would be Ὑπεριονίδης/Ὑπεριονίδου.

ποτὶ ματέρα κουριδίαν τ᾽ ἄλοχον παῖδάς τε φίλους -- "to his mother and his wedded wife and his dear/own children". These are coordinate. While φίλος modifying a family member can sometimes be translated "own" in epic language, there's no contrast here with someone else's children, so I think "his dear children" would be better, or maybe "his own dear children". This is an epic formula, and I don't think here it's absolutely devoid of affectionate connotation, especially in combination with mother and wife.

ὁ δ᾽ -- while there may be a contrast here between the Sun and the Son, (Herakles, son of Zeus), I think "the other" is a little too strong. I would just translate δ᾽ as "but".
Last edited by Hylander on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Walderman

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Stesichorus 8A Finglass (S17 SLG, 185 PMG)

Post by mwh »

Ἅλιος does not fit the metrical scheme and must be either intrusive or corrupt. It shouldn’t be translated. The other obelized places, on the other hand, have only a little something wrong with them (they’re not quite metrical), so they can be translated fairly harmlessly.

ὄφρα introduces a purpose clause, “so that, in order that.”

ὁ δε switches the subject.