Bibliographies on book V of the Iliad

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Redhead
Textkit Neophyte

Bibliographies on book V of the Iliad

Post by Redhead »

Hi! In a couple of months I will start working on my bachelor's thesis on verses 431-442 of book V of the Iliad:

Ὣς οἳ μὲν τοιαῦτα πρὸς ἀλλήλους ἀγόρευον,
Αἰνείᾳ δ’ ἐπόρουσε βοὴν ἀγαθὸς Διομήδης,
γιγνώσκων ὅ οἱ αὐτὸς ὑπείρεχε χεῖρας Ἀπόλλων·
ἀλλ’ ὅ γ’ ἄρ’ οὐδὲ θεὸν μέγαν ἅζετο, ἵετο δ’ αἰεὶ
Αἰνείαν κτεῖναι καὶ ἀπὸ κλυτὰ τεύχεα δῦσαι.
τρὶς μὲν ἔπειτ’ ἐπόρουσε κατακτάμεναι μενεαίνων,
τρὶς δέ οἱ ἐστυφέλιξε φαεινὴν ἀσπίδ’ Ἀπόλλων·
ἀλλ’ ὅτε δὴ τὸ τέταρτον ἐπέσσυτο δαίμονι ἶσος,
δεινὰ δ’ ὁμοκλήσας προσέφη ἑκάεργος Ἀπόλλων·
φράζεο Τυδεΐδη καὶ χάζεο, μηδὲ θεοῖσιν
ἶσ’ ἔθελε φρονέειν, ἐπεὶ οὔ ποτε φῦλον ὁμοῖον
ἀθανάτων τε θεῶν χαμαὶ ἐρχομένων τ’ ἀνθρώπων.

I just want to know what's the most resent work I can go to to find the most resent bibliography on book V. My focus will be on the usage of ἶσος to mark equality between gods and men. That will include a treatment of all the usages of ἶσος in early greek epic, the different formulas expressing stuff like "like a god" and particularly those with ἶσος as a component(I've already noted all the words that caught my eye when I read though Homer, Hesiod and the Hymns, but I need good secondary treatment as well), the meaning of δαίμων in early greek epic, a close reading of book V as well as similar god-contra-man confrontations in other places(as in Aspis for example!). I have a few good things already, but could really benefit from someone's knowledge of the most recent stuff! :)

(If anyone has a commentary on book V the is newer than the Cambridge commentary I would also appreciate it, since I really can't find any and it feels like I really don't know how to find stuff reliably. I try to use l'Année as intelligently as I can, but I often fail finding what I'm looking for. Either it's the searches that are bad, or the thing I'm looking for doesn't exist. But I never know which one is which)
Last edited by Redhead on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Bibliographies on book V of the Iliad

Post by Paul Derouda »

There is apparently no commentary for book V in either the Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics ("Green and Yellow") or the German Gesamtkommentar series, where new volumes are being published (some of the German volumes have even been translated into English). So unfortunately the Cambridge commentary in 6 vols is the newest (I think). I would not completely overlook however the 100+ year old commentaries by Ameis & Hentze (German) and Leaf (English).

Are you aware of the Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos? That's the place where I would start looking for any word in early epic. (It's not all in German, many articles are in English, and some even in French or Italian). And although it's already a bit old, I'd also look at Chantraine's etymological dictionary (much better, I hear, than the newer one in English). But you probably already know this.

Redhead
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Bibliographies on book V of the Iliad

Post by Redhead »

Paul Derouda wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:48 pm There is apparently no commentary for book V in either the Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics ("Green and Yellow") or the German Gesamtkommentar series, where new volumes are being published (some of the German volumes have even been translated into English). So unfortunately the Cambridge commentary in 6 vols is the newest (I think). I would not completely overlook however the 100+ year old commentaries by Ameis & Hentze (German) and Leaf (English).

Are you aware of the Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos? That's the place where I would start looking for any word in early epic. (It's not all in German, many articles are in English, and some even in French or Italian). And although it's already a bit old, I'd also look at Chantraine's etymological dictionary (much better, I hear, than the newer one in English). But you probably already know this.
I was quite disappointed when I realised that the Gesamtkommentar hadn't prioritized book V :/ But luck for me. As you say, these are all well known resources for me. I've read enough to know at least some of the most important tools in this field. I will definitely use the LfgrE a lot (and I've used it a couple of times already), the old commentaries and Chantraine as well l(along with Beekes and Risch). But now I know that there's no new obvious commentary that I have missed. Thank you! :)