Acts 3:11, genitive absolute with accusative direct object?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Acts 3:11, genitive absolute with accusative direct object?

Post by hlawson38 »

Context: Peter has just miraculously healed a lame man, who is acting out his joy. This is happening by an entrance to the temple.
[3:11] Κρατοῦντος δὲ αὐτοῦ τὸν Πέτρον καὶ τὸν Ἰωάνην συνέδραμεν πᾶς ὁ
λαὸς πρὸς αὐτοὺς ἐπὶ τῇ στοᾷ τῇ καλουμένῃ Σολομῶντος ἔκθαμβοι.
Translation:
While he [the man just healed] was holding on to Peter and John, all the people rushed up to them by the colonnade of Solomon, amazed.

Κρατοῦντος δὲ αὐτοῦ τὸν Πέτρον καὶ τὸν Ἰωάνηv: I read this as a genitive absolute (Κρατοῦντος δὲ αὐτοῦ) with the accusative direct object (τὸν Πέτρον καὶ τὸν Ἰωάνηv). Have I got this right? Is it OK for a participle in a genitive absolute construction to have an accusative direct object?

I am unsure whether Κρατοῦντος means that the man just healed was literally holding onto Peter and John with his hands, or more figuratively that he was occupying their attention. I'm inclined to the literally holding interpretation, because so many of the definitions of κρατέω suggest overmastering power.
Hugh Lawson

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Acts 3:11, genitive absolute with accusative direct object?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Yes, you are reading it correctly. Within the GA phrase you can fit all sorts of extras, adjectives, adverbs, and if the verb does so, it can take a direct object as here.

I think there's no doubt that the "holding" is physical.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Re: Acts 3:11, genitive absolute with accusative direct object?

Post by hlawson38 »

Many thanks for the help, Barry, on the verb meaning, and on the genitive absolute.
Hugh Lawson