Ana- and cataphora

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Ana- and cataphora

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Noticed this in my NTG reading this morning, Rom 8:30:

οὓς δὲ προώρισεν, τούτους καὶ ἐκάλεσεν· καὶ οὓς ἐκάλεσεν, τούτους καὶ ἐδικαίωσεν· οὓς δὲ ἐδικαίωσεν, τούτους καὶ ἐδόξασεν.

The relative pronoun, which is usually anaphoric, is here cataphoric, and the demonstrative, often cataphoric (especially in combination with the relative), is anaphoric. Wonderful rhetorical effect. Also anaphora as the literary device, and the repeated third singular aorists (what's it called when endings all have the same sound?).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Re: Ana- and cataphora

Post by donhamiltontx »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: (what's it called when endings all have the same sound?).
It is called, suitably enough, homoeoteleuton. Several sources exist on-line. Here is one: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... eoteleuton. This is at my fingertips because I looked it up just the other day in connection with an old paper about the characteristics of the writing style of Diodorus Siculus.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ana- and cataphora

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

donhamiltontx wrote: It is called, suitably enough, homoeoteleuton. Several sources exist on-line. Here is one: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... eoteleuton. This is at my fingertips because I looked it up just the other day in connection with an old paper about the characteristics of the writing style of Diodorus Siculus.
Of course. I think of homeoteleuton as an issue in text criticism, but should have realized it had application to the literary device as well. Thanks...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...