Book Notice

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Book Notice

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Just out, The Article in Post-Classical Greek. This just a book notice, not a review, so caveat lector!

https://koine-greek.com/2019/09/15/book ... u4NbDNRfXk
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Book Notice

Post by jeidsath »

Are there some motivating examples of how the article gets used in a post- or non-classical way?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper »

Interesting...

By "Post-Classical" - do you essentially mean "NT"? Does the book chart the development in the usage of the article from Attic through NT (or even beyond), or just rehash what NT grammarians already know (a considerable amount) about the article in the NT?

I look forward to getting my hands on a copy when I can.

Incidentally we could use a serious up-to-date study - maybe not book-length but it would get close - for the usage of the article in Attic prose alone.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

This is simply an "as is" book notice. Read the descriptions and the blurbs, and draw your own conclusions. I think the endorsement from Horrocks suggests it might be worthwhile, but any questions about the book and its content are best answered by the book itself.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper »

You're right.

I hope people have also taken notice of Horrocks' own recent project - "The Cambridge Grammar of Medieval and Early Modern Greek".

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Yes, I did see that recently, and was considering a purchase.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com