moses maimonides greek translation?

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
mahasacham
Textkit Member

moses maimonides greek translation?

Post by mahasacham »

Because the common English name of this philosopher has a greek patronymic suffix (Μαϊμων - ίδης), I was wondering if there were any translations of his works into medieval Greek or a high brow form of Kathereuousa?

Also is there a reason his name has commonly been hellenized instead of using a latin form?

Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Re: moses maimonides greek translation?

Post by Amplaos »

I don't know of any full translations, but I did post a translation of his 13 principles of Jewish Faith (י"ג עיקרים) on this board a while back: http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... 28&t=66262
It's not perfect, however.
Ῥήθεντα ὑπὸ τοῦ μεγάλου ῥήτορος Δονάλδου Τρᾶμπ·

"Ἡμᾶς μὲν δεῖ τεῖχος οἰκοδομῆσαι, αὐτὸ δὲ ταχέως οἰκοδομηθῆναι."
"Συνίημι τοὺς λόγους. Ἔχω δὴ τοὺς ἀρίστους λόγους."
"Ὀλίγόν μοι ἐδανείσεν ὁ πατήρ, ἑκατομύριον δολάρια."
"Μοι δὲ ἀρέσκουσι οἱ μὴ ζωγρηθέντες."

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

I did enjoy those translations. That is what sparked the quest to find out if there were any translations made in the byzantine era of some of his works.

opoudjis
Textkit Member

Post by opoudjis »

I don't know of one, which doesn't mean there wasn't one; but the only Byzantine translations I know of of anything were of some Latin in the 14th century—Boethius, Augustin, Cicero.