Ancient Greek Computer Game - ideas?

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
daivid
Administrator

Ancient Greek Computer Game - ideas?

Post by daivid »

I have written an Ancient Greek (http://kart-hadasht.co.uk/anc/greeklang/riverdespot/) but my Greek is not good enough for me to be confident that it isn't full of errors so I have never publicized it.

I do think that games are very useful in language learning as the language is often repetitive yet is conveying information that the player has to pay attention to. Hence it is good at giving the player practice with the forms used and extending their vocabulary a bit.

If there is someone here who has the idea for a game and is able to write the Greek but doesn't have access to a site and/or is not confident at coding I would be happy to host that game on my site.

The conditions are that you write the Greek and that, if you want me to do the coding , the game should not require significantly more coding that the the game I've linked to above.
λονδον

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Re: Ancient Greek Computer Game - ideas?

Post by will.dawe »

It's not an answer you were asking for, but sort of thoughts.

I thought about an educational game satisfying 3 requirements:
  1. text or dialog based game
  2. repetitive
  3. unhurried
Dialogs should be an important element of the game, but not overwhelming, to not frighten newbies. User could not simply skip them, so the texts should contain information important for the gameplay. And the game should be slow, to give users time to read dialogs.

Finally, I have found a series "Hero of the Kingdom" [no links in first 10 posts] fitting all three points. These games were already translated into a dozen of languages, and the translations are stored in an XML format, so anybody could make custom-language version. But the result would be a game training only reading.
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.